NX vs. SC?

Well I contacted a local performance shop here in town and they can do a nitrous installation on the SS. Installed $815, that sounds like a good price.

I would like to get some feed back from some of you on whether or not the nitrous is a good way to go vs. putting in a Super charger. The bang for the buck with nitrous is what I am looking for and since I don’t race around town all the time a NX wet system sounds pretty good to me.

What do you think is going to blow up the motor and destroy the tranny faster a couple years down the road, NX or SC??

I've never been a fan of Nitrous, it seems to hurt too many parts :cry: , but I haven't experimented with it a whole lot. I would suggest save the money for the s/c therefor it's not just for racin' around town, a s/c is just all around more useful. :thumbs:

56chevywagon :seeya:

The SC is better for all around performance, but I am in the process of buying a house and just can’t swing the $5g’s for it right now. You say nitrous damages parts, what parts? I would imagine that an NX system would do just as much damage as a SC, right?

With NX, you have more of a chance of detonation (getting lean fuel air mixture) unless you run a timimg controller. Still, it is cheaper than the s/c, but, IMO, the s/c is more reliable. I had a buddy detonate his motor even with a timing controller, something to think about.

the supercharger will likely be harder on the transmission than the nitrous. more than likely the nitrous will cause engine failure first since at one point in time it will generally cause a failure. overall nitrous is pretty safe if used properly, but not terribly cheap. at 30 to 50 bucks per refill, it's an expensive addiction. a bad point with the ss silveado is it's weight. nitrous works very well on engines without high loads, but under heavy loads such as the 5300 or so pound tank problems are more likely to arise.

56chevywagon

Yeah, I have heard the horror stories of some people running nitrous systems. The dealer I talked to says nitrous is pretty safe when you get a good system like the NX wet system and have it professionally installed. I see the NX system being fairly safe because it would not be used all the time. Probably only when I go to the strip or happen to have the rare chance of lining up at a stop light with a vehicle that wants to get rowdy. I have always considered nitrous as cheating but power is power.

the supercharger will likely be harder on the transmission than the nitrous. more than likely the nitrous will cause engine failure first since at one point in time it will generally cause a failure.

zippy:

That’s my biggest concern, the tranny and drive train! This AWD system is kind of sketchy to me right now; I am wondering how long it is going to hold up even without modding the engine.

I'm VERY interested in a small shot 50-75hp of nitrous for the SS... I don't race it, just want it for entertainment, that little extra rush of acceleration... I probably wouldn’t use it that much after the “new toy” thing wore off... They want 6 grand for the Magnacharger here... Little too much for me at this point, I'm also saving for a down payment on a new home... I could swing a few hundred bucks though... Good point on the refills zippy... If I had the bottle re-filled 105.5 times I could have hade a SC...

Aren’t mortgage brokers a pain

Home buying is absolutely the most frustrating heap of mumbojombo paperwork I’ve ever had to deal with… The stab you in the back ruthless cut throat money-grubbing muthafunking people you have to deal with is absolutely ridiculous... I can't begin to express how unpleasant it has been...

Here's some of HOLLEY's "dry system" propaganda... Sounds reasonable...

Safe, reliable, effective—produces 75 to 150 horsepower boost for many trucks!

Computer-controlled sensors go into open-loop mode, allowing nitrous oxide system to work with existing fuel-injection system resulting in impressive power increases

Kit uses breakthrough "dry" injection technology—original-equipment fuel injection provides the required additional fuel to the engine only when the nitrous system is armed and activated at wide-open throttle

I hope they come up with one that's SS specific HOLLEY GM NOS...... :thumbs:

I hope they come up with one that's SS specific HOLLEY GM NOS...... :thumbs:

"Hartman inc." I have a NOS system installed on my '02 XCSP800 (polaris snowmobile). ...Saw that you were into sleds :seeya:

Lays down 162HP at the track! Engine is around 240HP with the NOS.

Lets see, sled weight around 500lbs pushing 240 HP, 1:2 Hp to weight ratio...Yea, that's fast. Wanna buy it? $5000 and its yours. :D

Anyway, stick with the wet systems. Holley has been very helpful with my custom install. :thumbs:

I have a NOS system installed on my '02 XCSP800

A friend of mine is building a custom hidden nitrous system for my sled... Should be a nice addition to the Boss seat and all the chromoly & billet suspension parts I bought this summer... I'm stretching it out to 151x2 also... A little surprise for the boys next season...

Shhhhhhh it's a secret.... ;)

You run a risk with a blower or nitrous. Nitrous can be safe if you have a good system, a good installation, and buy the extra safety parts for the kit.

I run a NX system, just haven't installed it on the SS yet. I think we are all pretty safe with a 100 shot or smaller. I ran a 125 at the track on my 99 with no problems. And let me say this - the 100 shot is amazing when you hit it from slow speeds. It took about 2 seconds off my 1/4 mile ET.

I'm thinking about running a dual stage system. 50 shot dry, and 75 shot wet. That way I can use either one or both if I feel like it. Wet works great with good bottle pressure, but dry isn't effected by pressure as much. This way I'll have the best of both worlds.

Installation is pretty easy. Just do a little reading and research on how to install before you get started.

Archived