ipod hookup

LVooop

I have looked around briefly and I do not think this is a repost.

I was reading what everyone has said about the different ipod hookups and then doing some further researh I believe I have found a really good one.

Click here

I have already went out and bought one at Circuit city for $145. The great thing about this unit is it charges, supposedly displays ipod text, can control ipod by either the ipod itself or the headunit/steering controls and you do not lose xm or cd.

I have not installed it yet so I will tell you guys if it works the way they advertise after I get it installed.

Installation seems easy because it uses a t harness from the factory harness then you just have to splice three wires.

Also from reading the instructions to switch from xm/ipod mode you go to either xm1 or xm2 and then hit 6 on your presets.

The unit looks cool and if anyone has some input I would appreciate it. I plan on getting it installed today or tomorrow.

thanks

I bought that unit from Circuit City and returned it 5 days later. Don't buy that one. Sometimes when you use the seek button it skips songs and then after being out of the car and turning it back on i would have to hit the band button twice just to get it back on. Go to crutchfield.com and order the USA-Spec ipod interface. first of all it is cheaper than the Axxess one and it is a much better unit. And you can set it up two ways, either controlling everything from your radio, or you control the ipod from the ipod itself and still use the seek, volume, etc, on your radio, but it this mode it just says iPod on the radio not the song names or anything. It is a nice metal case and you don't have to tap into any 12volt power leads. The usa-spec adpater also has a set of rca inputs that can be used for anything else you want. i have my sirius hooked up to it and it all sounds sweet. no more having anything go through any fm stations. Also the harness is long enough so you can mount the box right under your cup holder piece in the center console.

I am looking at the box right now and the part you want is the USA-Spec PA11-GM. I paid $130 w/ shipping and got it the next day, when it was shipped regular ground. I am in the same UPS zone as Crutchfield.

Also, install it yourself, you only need one socket.

good luck

I have no idea if it makes a difference, but did you hook it up using the relay like the guy from gmtrucks.com did? I've had discussions with him a few times and he tells me he hasn't had one problem with it.

Late- Alex

I have no idea if it makes a difference, but did you hook it up using the relay like the guy from gmtrucks.com did? I've had discussions with him a few times and he tells me he hasn't had one problem with it.

Late-  Alex

no, i didn't use any relay, but i don't have xm radio, but this unit comes with an extra harness for using both the xm and ipod. check it out at their website usaspec.com, i think.

Late-  Alex

no, i didn't use any relay, but i don't have xm radio, but this unit comes with an extra harness for using both the xm and ipod. check it out at their website usaspec.com, i think.

That was the whole reason for me talking about this interface. I have XM and I wanted to keep it. As far as I know, this is the only interface that allows XM to be kept with an iPod. Like I said before, this guy I talked to didn't have one problem with this interface.

Late- Alex

Late-  Alex

That was the whole reason for me talking about this interface. I have XM and I wanted to keep it. As far as I know, this is the only interface that allows XM to be kept with an iPod. Like I said before, this guy I talked to didn't have one problem with this interface.

Late- Alex

With this unit you can still keep your xm also. the only problem with that other unit is that you can't control anything from your ipod at all. so if you wanted to play a certain song you have to disconnect it and then select your song on the ipod and then plug it back in. i had installed that axxess one first and went ahead and took it all out and put the usa-spec unit in instead. good luck with whatever one you use.

Archived