Rear Diff gasket?

Well on my project truck I got the the rear diff to change fluid and change the gasket (12 bolt posi).  The question is:  to use only the gasket or to put rtv on each side of the gasket?  TIA

-CL

Assuming the cover flange is still straight you do not need RTV, just oil both sides before assembly. But if you do elect to use RTV never EVER glue down a gasket on both sides; RTV the gasket to the tin or cover/removable part so that when you disassemble it next time it easily separates. I will use RTV on the cover-side, very thin, just enough to adhere/hold the gasket on, and after it skins-over I will liberally put oil on the housing-facing side of the gasket before reassembly; assuming that you then tighten only enough to keep it from leaking and don't overheat the gasket you will be able to easily remove/reuse the cover (and gasket) almost indefinitely.

Mr. P.

when using RTV i just smear a very little bit and work it into the gasket, so it is almost glazed, then the gasket will be stickey but not too covered in silcone, it will absorbe and help keep it in place. it is not caulk, and like p said, check your mating surfaces for flatness.

Would a 75-90 be a good fluid for this, or get the 80-90?  It will only be driven in nice weather and beat on alot so i'm sure heat is gonna be a factor.

-CL

75-90 synthetic GL-5 hypoid gear lube (with posi additive if a posi diff); I would only consider the 80-90 if it were a full-time tow vehicle.

Mr. P. :)

I know the rear diff is filled with synthetic from the factory, but the front is not, why?

I'm getting ready to switch all my fluids to syn from Mobil 1

I currently use Mobil 1 5-W30 in the crankcase, and have purchased Mobil 1 Syn Dexron III for the trans and transfer case.

Got the Mobil 1 75-W90 Syn. Gear lube for the diffs. Anyone done this yet? How did it run with the syn in it?

thanks...

SD

Archived