Active suspension WOW what a difference!

CraigW

Yeah, there is nothing really "active" about that setup at all. In reality it is a "passive" setup (i.e. spring). In today's automobile terms, "active" usually means computer/electonically controlled.

You'll still be doing yourself a favor going with at least a new front sway bar.  I wouldn't go with anyone's but Hotchkis for it though.  You'd be surprised how much a front sway bar will help your ride.  The stock one is really weak.  The rear is not the only thing that sways badly.  These things really are just helper springs.

I thought that spoiler was supposed to keep your rear tucked :P

I thought the same and was kind of dissapointed when i read the link. I was thinking a truly active suspention too.

just to think, you actually mean a reacticve suspention . it reacts to the bumps and loads based on feedback from the road. An active suspention is just that, it is active before the tire hits a bump in the road. hydrolics and air are an elementary form of active suspention systems.

Actually, the air and hydro so called "active" suspensions are reactive as well when talking about bumps in the road. They're just faster at reacting than a conventional spring.

Now, when talking about going around a corner, a combination of speed, ride height adjustment, and steering input are used to adjust the shock's valving or air pressure to put action into the suspension "before or as" the car is going around the corner to avoid the sway. In that instance, the suspension is active.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, there is nothing really "active" about that setup at all. In reality it is a "passive" setup (i.e. spring). In today's automobile terms, "active" usually means computer/electonically controlled.

You'll still be doing yourself a favor going with at least a new front sway bar.  I wouldn't go with anyone's but Hotchkis for it though.  You'd be surprised how much a front sway bar will help your ride.  The stock one is really weak.  The rear is not the only thing that sways badly.  These things really are just helper springs.

I thought that spoiler was supposed to keep your rear tucked :P

I thought the same and was kind of dissapointed when i read the link. I was thinking a truly active suspention too.

just to think, you actually mean a reacticve suspention . it reacts to the bumps and loads based on feedback from the road. An active suspention is just that, it is active before the tire hits a bump in the road. hydrolics and air are an elementary form of active suspention systems.

Actually, the air and hydro so called "active" suspensions are reactive as well when talking about bumps in the road. They're just faster at reacting than a conventional spring.

Now, when talking about going around a corner, a combination of speed, ride height adjustment, and steering input are used to adjust the shock's valving or air pressure to put action into the suspension "before or as" the car is going around the corner to avoid the sway. In that instance, the suspension is active.

:withstupid: Yeah What he said :D

Archived