Active suspension WOW what a difference!

CraigW

I just installed a Roadmaster Active Suspension on my SS leaf springs and WOW what a difference it makes. It corners nice and flat now and take the ruff roads better too. Best part its only $229 delivered. It took about 1 hour to put on with a 12mm, 7/8 , 13/16 sockets well of course jack and jack stands. Now I have to see if it helps with my race trailer. I am not going to spend the $500ish on sway bars now.

As far as I can see, this piece and sway bars do two totally different things. A sway bar doesn't reduce axle wrap or help reduce the sag in the rear of the truck when loaded. My McGaughy's air bar set up takes care of the sag created from loading the bed and I'm sure it would help if I towed something as well. The sway bars just flatten things out reducing the side to side motion for cornering and such.

I think your comparing apples and oranges here. Each set up has it pluses and each one is designed for specific duties. I do see where your going with the price though. :jester:

Maybe I'm wrong.................... :dunno:

Then again, if you got the results you wanted then that's all that matters! :thumbs:

Late- Alex

BTW: Where the hell are the pics? :ughdance:

If you goto the sight and open the HOW IT WORKS tab and the the PRINCIPLES OF OPERATION tab you will see that it basically combines the sway bay and airbag it to one taking care of a few different things. Here is an installed picture.

127238916.jpg

I was checking those out a couple weeks ago. The shop gave me a CD to see how it works.

I've already got sways, but I wanted to take out the sag when loaded or towing. Let us know if it takes out the sag when towing. Seems like it would also take out some wrap.

You'll still be doing yourself a favor going with at least a new front sway bar. I wouldn't go with anyone's but Hotchkis for it though. You'd be surprised how much a front sway bar will help your ride. The stock one is really weak. The rear is not the only thing that sways badly. These things really are just helper springs.

I thought that spoiler was supposed to keep your rear tucked :P

You'll still be doing yourself a favor going with at least a new front sway bar.  I wouldn't go with anyone's but Hotchkis for it though.  You'd be surprised how much a front sway bar will help your ride.  The stock one is really weak.  The rear is not the only thing that sways badly.  These things really are just helper springs.

It does but you dont go through the curves at 100mph :crackup: . I agree with you about the front sway bar. I just had to say what a difference the RAS made in the ride and handling of my SS. Will Hotchkis sell only a front bar??

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, there is nothing really "active" about that setup at all. In reality it is a "passive" setup (i.e. spring). In today's automobile terms, "active" usually means computer/electonically controlled.

You'll still be doing yourself a favor going with at least a new front sway bar.  I wouldn't go with anyone's but Hotchkis for it though.  You'd be surprised how much a front sway bar will help your ride.  The stock one is really weak.  The rear is not the only thing that sways badly.  These things really are just helper springs.

Yeah, there is nothing really "active" about that setup at all. In reality it is a "passive" setup (i.e. spring). In today's automobile terms, "active" usually means computer/electonically controlled.

I thought the same and was kind of dissapointed when i read the link. I was thinking a truly active suspention too.

just to think, you actually mean a reacticve suspention . it reacts to the bumps and loads based on feedback from the road. An active suspention is just that, it is active before the tire hits a bump in the road. hydrolics and air are an elementary form of active suspention systems.

Archived