Cam and Head decisions

Right now I have a Volant CAI and Air Scoop with a Dual in Dual out Borla muffler set up. And I am getting ready to get it tuned. I was wondering if I should do a cam next or what. My goal is to run in the 13's. What kind of cam should I do and should I go with the LS6 head or is my stock head good enough. My last step is to put on a nice shot of NOS. I also have a source to redo my head as well if that needs to be.

I also am noticing that a lot of you guys have TrailBlazer Torque Converters. What does that help?.................Thanks, Jason in Indiana

Several have broken 13.9x on the factory heads/cam with the following:

* 2800-rpm (or TB) converter

* shift kit

* Vette 2nd apply servo

* long-tube headers

* 160-degree thermostat

* electric fans

* Remove spare tire assy and jack

* Careful PCM tune

A change of cam could put you close to the mid-13s; a change in fuel system might also be required depending on the cam. If you have someone that can competently pocket-port your heads that always helps, but they are the ones to tell you if their job is better/worse than upgrading to a set of LS6 heads or a pair of aftermarket professionally prepped heads. The last thing that you should consider is that if you are going to run any significant amount of NOS I personally would pass on the TB converter and spend the $$$ for a premium one, because if the converter ever 'balloons' on you it will be a sad sad day.

Mr. P. :)

EDIT - You might want to check out what mwalls54 has done with his truck :thumbs:

get a tb tq

shift kit

cam and a set of comp 918 springs

maybe like a 220/226 556/560 114

i would leave the heads alone at this point but if you are set on doing something with them a good P&P job would do just fine

and a real good tune, i would sugest having ZIPPY tune your truck

you might want to also step up to a set of 42lb injectors

with all of the above you should be well into the 13's

also you will want to do a 160-degree thermostat

If you do a cam, don't go huge... I was chatting with Joe and Roger Vinci on Friday. They said something along the lines of their customers making the most power in trucks with stock cubes where running 210/218 on a 116 lsa.

Of course, all that's mitigated by whether you are getting a cam to make the best power in the widest band or sound like a funny car at a stop light. IMO talk to a grinder like Vinci or FMS and tell them what you want out of the truck and follow their advice.

Several have broken 13.9x on the factory heads/cam with the following:

* 2800-rpm (or TB) converter

* shift kit

* Vette 2nd apply servo

* long-tube headers

* 160-degree thermostat

* electric fans

* Remove spare tire assy and jack

* Careful PCM tune

A change of cam could put you close to the mid-13s; a change in fuel system might also be required depending on the cam.  If you have someone that can competently pocket-port your heads that always helps, but they are the ones to tell you if their job is better/worse than upgrading to a set of LS6 heads or a pair of aftermarket professionally prepped heads.  The last thing that you should consider is that if you are going to run any significant amount of NOS I personally would pass on the TB converter and spend the $$$ for a premium one, because if the converter ever 'balloons' on you it will be a sad sad day.

Mr. P. :)

EDIT - You might want to check out what mwalls54 has done with his truck  :thumbs:

Right on man for the suggestions. I will definetly check out his mods.

get a tb tq

shift kit

cam and a set of comp 918 springs

maybe like a 220/226 556/560 114

i would leave the heads alone at this point but if you are set on doing something with them a good P&P job would do just fine

and a real good tune, i would sugest having ZIPPY tune your truck

you might want to also step up to a set of 42lb injectors

with all of the above you should be well into the 13's

also you will want to do a 160-degree thermostat

So you think I should go with Zippy huh. What do you like about your Zippy tune? Thanks for the advice. :thumbs:

If you do a cam, don't go huge... I was chatting with Joe and Roger Vinci on Friday.  They said something along the lines of their customers making the most power in trucks with stock cubes where running 210/218 on a 116 lsa.

Of course, all that's mitigated by whether you are getting a cam to make the best power in the widest band or sound like a funny car at a stop light.  IMO talk to a grinder like Vinci or FMS and tell them what you want out of the truck and follow their advice.

I am looking into the GT2-3 cam I believe at Lingenfelther with the spring kit. I would actually like my truck to sound funny at a stop light and have crazy power. So where are those guys at that you mentioned that I may need to talk to for advice?

If you do a cam, don't go huge... I was chatting with Joe and Roger Vinci on Friday.  They said something along the lines of their customers making the most power in trucks with stock cubes where running 210/218 on a 116 lsa.

Of course, all that's mitigated by whether you are getting a cam to make the best power in the widest band or sound like a funny car at a stop light.  IMO talk to a grinder like Vinci or FMS and tell them what you want out of the truck and follow their advice.

I am looking into the GT2-3 cam I believe at Lingenfelther with the spring kit. I would actually like my truck to sound funny at a stop light and have crazy power. So where are those guys at that you mentioned that I may need to talk to for advice?

Talk to Roger Vinci at Vinci High Performance or Allan Futral at Futral Motorsports. They aren't sponsors so I can't link 'em but Google can :)

Archived