New toys

Jonmalibuss

i was lookin on speed engineering they have 4.56 gears i can get for like 167 bucks! i wonder....is that too much?

looks awesome jon!!!!

is that an lsd? get an e-locker those are BA BAD ASSED!

It is a limited slip carrier with carbon clutches. They told me it is set up with 400lb springs which should be enough but if I feel it's not enough they will send me the 800lb springs which will just put more pressure on the clutches and just about put it into full lock which I really don't want. I really see no reason for a locker or any sorts just something better than the factory rearend which is a "locker" if you could call it that but it also has clutches in it.

Yeah 4.56's would be way too much unless you have like 40" tires

Well after calling around the $125 sounded too good to be true, and of course it was everyone wanted $300-$350 which was way too much for me to pay for something I can do for nothing. So I decided to go into work today because a couple other guys were gonna be there and I got everything done in about 5hrs. without trying to rush. The gears are very quiet and the Eaton seems pretty damn nice it slips around corners pretty nice but when I stand on it, it hooks very nicely. I have a lot more off the line but I still have to reflash the pcm since everything is off now.

So how are you going to beable to put the power to the ground with 4.10's, i have the factory 3.73's with just a programer, cia, and exhaust. And my truck will break lose at 40 almost every time. Just wondering wanna know a traction secret i guess :dunno:. But maybe its my factory tires.

So how are you going to beable to put the power to the ground with 4.10's, i have the factory 3.73's with just a programer, cia, and exhaust.  And my truck will break lose at 40 almost every time. Just wondering wanna know a traction secret i guess :dunno:.  But maybe its my factory tires.

Put some better rubber on that thing. :smash:

just wondering... what did you set the back-lash at?

nice set-up by the way (now you can tell everyone you have an eaton on it, just not where on the vehicle)

Well I started at about .005" and the pattern on the teath looked a bit off so I opened it up a bit and ended up with like .010" which was the max and the pattern was off in the other dirrection. So I tightened it up just a little bit and got .007" and had a very nice looking pattern.

When I set up the pinion I took the old bearings and sanded the inside of the bearing so they would just slide on and off of the pinion and then took the stock .030" shim and started there since the gears were "OEM" gears and went on to setting backlash once I was able to get the backlash in spec and had a good looking wear pattern I called it good, pulled everything apart and assembled everything for the last time and rechecked the wear pattern and backlash. It was all good so I finished it up and added fluid :thumbs: it took about 5hrs but I was in no rush.

Up date for any of you who might have wondered the results. I am very very pleased with the results of changing the gear ratio but even better than that the results from changing the carrier itself. I seem to get more slip out of it around corners there for the rearend doesn't feel like it's going to slide out on me as much around corners but going straight it will still stay locked up there for you will never get a one wheeler from a straight line take off. If I am hard on it around a hard turn I can get it tobreak both lose and it will then stay locked but it is a bit harder. This carrier seems to work much smoother than the factory unit did, I could feel when the factory unit would lock up and when it wouldn't I seemed to get a high pitched squeel out of it which i'm sure was it destroying itself.

Archived