5.3 heads 2.08/1.60 valves

I did it... I ordered a set of brand new 5.3L heads and 2.08/1.60 valves off of EBay to put on at the same time as my Z06 cam/etc. I ended up canceling my Chicago Auto Show trip to pay for it all, but hey, it works out better for me now anyway.

Brand new 5.3L Heads = $280 +$70 shipping

2.08/1.60 Stainless valves = $70 + actual shipping

I'll get the heads cut and bowl hogged by Midstates Machine shop here in Des Moines, then P&P them myself (don't worry, done LOTS of sets of heads for other vehicles with good results).

I'm just wondering though... has anyone created/printed templates for these LSx ports for others to follow???

What do you mean to follow?  Why would you make templates?

I take it you're bumping up your CR with the smaller head?  What size combustion chamber will you have?

Templates to follow for known intake/exhaust port shaping. Before CNC machines, you had to cut your port by hand, then flow it on a bench. If the port flowed well, you made a template to follow for the next set of the same heads in order to repeat your known good port shape. It takes quite a bit of experimentation to come up with the perfect port design... I have patterns for prior Chevy Gen I small block 416 castings and the others I think are 089 castings (TPI 305 HO's are the 416 and the 089 are '87+ 350 TPI iron heads if the casting number I remember is right). That's time and money well spent for a home porter, buying known patterns with known flow rates. I've found several leads and have emails in, just no response yet.

The CR will be bumped, but I'm not sure what the final CC will be until I see the head in person and have a chance to cc them. I'll have to lay back the chamber walls at minimum for the larger bore, especially with the 2.08 valves going in. I will most likely shoot for high 10's to 1 area.

Keeping your stockers for something else?

Nope. Probably end up selling them on EBay once I'm sure of my swap situation. It will be a while (probably summer) since I've got quite a bit of head porting/measuring and chamber shaping/measuring ahead of me. :sigh:

with a nice cam those 5.3L heads will shine.

Z06 cam with 1.8 LS7 rockers, at least for now. I like the fact that I can have a better than stock cam and heads for under 600 bucks. :cool:

id start her up with some high octane,,,,

ive seen 305 heads on a 350 (l98 motor).... burn a hole through 7 of 8 pistons with 87 octane...

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Well, that's not very common. Plus the fact that this is more like putting the L98 'vette heads on a 350 motor (58cc just like the 305 heads are), which GM did from the factory. Added to that, our 6.0 engines have a better rod ratio to slow down piston speed at TDC. I'm not saying I probably won't end up pulling a few degrees of timing out at certain load/RPM areas, but it will be easily overcome.

As stated before, I'm guessing after I do the chamber work needed for the larger valves and larger bore of the 6.0, the 5.3 heads would put me in the high 10's to 1 compression ratio anyway. :thumbs:

Archived