Trailering

RLD

Last weekend I pulled a double jet ski trailer for the first time with the SS. I was extremely disappointed. The trailer (approximate loaded weight 1500 lbs.) jerked the rear of the SS unmercifully. The slightest bump felt like I was going over a boulder.

What really makes me sick is the fact that I had pulled the same trailer with an S-10 and never knew it was behind me until I applie the brakes.

I certainly expected a larger, heavier truck to do a better job than an S-10.

Richard

Had about 2 tons of rock on the trailer in my sig. Trailer itself weighs almost a ton with the battery, pump and hydaulic dump.

The SS worked a wee-bit harder accelerating, but after pulling it 100 miles, I was taking corners fast (too fast) because I forgot it was back there, lol.

:chevy:

I TOW MT 19' CAMPER TRAILER ALL THE TIME FOR WEEKEND CAMPING EXCURSIONS AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. I HAVE BEEN PLEASED WITH ITS PERFORMANCE.

I FIGURE THE WEIGHT ON MY TRILER IS ABOUT 3.5 K LADEN. AS WELL I TOW UP TO TAHOE AREA ALL THE TIME WITH LOTS OF HILLS AND DOWNGRADES AND HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM. IT IS ODD THAT THE JETSKI TRAILER WOULD HAVE THAT EFFECT ON YOUR SS. YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THE TRILER AND MAKE SURE IT IS TRACKING OKAY AND NOT MESSED UP. I TOW MY JETSKI WITH MY TRUCK, ALL BE IT A SINGLE TRAILER AND YOU CANT EVEN TELL IT THERE.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT IAM INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT YOU COME UP WITH.

R/

VMAN

Wasn't there a guy who posted something about not going too crazy with his torque converter because he needed hid SS to still be able to pull his D-4 or 5 or something like that? Maybe that was him.

And did I just set the record for longest sentence?? 3 lines-Impressive!!!

I've posted some info on trailering before. I tow a 30' travel trailer (just used it this past weekend) - weighs about 7500 lbs all dressed out. I alos carry several hundred pounds of firewood, tools, and other stuff in the pickup bed. I have had NO PROBLEMS !! The SS runs like a champ - and I never had as much power with my old K10.

I am VERY pleased! :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

:confused: I traded in a 2002 2500HD Ext cab 4X4 on my SS. I researched these trucks pretty good. I thought the SS and the GMC Sierra c3 basically used the same axles, transmission, brakes and engine as my old 2500 :thumbs: I could be wrong but I thought that the springs were pretty much the only thing from calling our trucks a 2500SS?? I will find out soon enough! I will be towing my boat home in a week. It is a 1999 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee, it weighs in around 7250 lbs not counting all goodies inside like the generator, fuel, or the trailer. :uhoh: I'm guessing that I will be close to 8K in transit!! These truck are rated at 7800 towing I thought? I ordered a set of Firestone air bags to level the SS but that should do it. My only worry is will my airbags cause me any difficulty if I decide to lower my ride height? I also tow a 16' tandem axle trailer with a compact tractor w/a loader and grader box. Other than to much tongue weight and too soft of springs I can't even tell it's there? I bought an SS because not only are they the badest trucks on the planet they a very functional as well. :cheers:

I hope your that the jet skis trailer is out of alighnment causing the trouble. :sigh:

Archived