6 piston Caliper

W2W402

I was talking to one of my buddy's Dad's the other day. He told me he could get me sweet deals on brake kits like Wilwood, Brembo, Baer, AP, ect...

Anyways I told him I was looking at getting a new brake set up and was looking at a 6 piston Caliper on new rotors. He told me I would most likely have to change the Master Cylinder...is this a must, or is it just advisable? What do you guys think. With all the new brakes (Baer's new 6 piston, Wilwoods 6 piston Brembo 6 piston) would I be wise to change the MC?

I've been doing alot of research on aftermarket brakes for some time now for my '66 El Camino and read that some systems require a larger bore MC to get more brake fluid to the calipers. I don't know how much of a difference that would make with stock diameter brake lines. Also, a larger MC in some applications to make sure there is enough fluid in the system. For instance, when the pads get low. I don't know if what you want will require that, but I'm sure the company you decide to buy from will let you know. That is just from what I have read from different companies.

Late- Alex

Alex you are right about that for older cars because they only required very little fluid to operate especially since most older cars were 4 wheel drums. I did this exact same thing for my chevelle when I converted to 4 wheel disks.

But with late model vehicles and ABS there is already a lot of fluid required and I don't belive that anyone makes a master cylinder with more fluid volume for late model trucks just because it's not really needed. If it was needed the company you buy your brakes from most likely makes the master cylinder and they would have to tell you about it because they would be liable for an accident if they didn't.

Archived