05 SS..two problems

COJAM

Hey folks. My 05SS just started having issues.

Issue #1

I hear a odd noise from the front diff. Its not grinding but just a subtle whine. What could this be?

Issue #2

The truck quit on me in traffic yeaterday. It just started to bouce between quiting and 500 RPM then it finaly just quit. It started right back up. This is the third time the truck has done this. WTF is this all about?

I want to be preped when I go to the dealer because I just know they are going to tell me that notihing is wrong.

Thanks much.

the front diff noise is common...my dealer couldnt find a prob...other have the noise and mi has shut off before...like if i had the steering wheel full lock the rpm drop down and it would shut off....happened like 3 times....i noticed that when i let off the gas the rpm drop way down almost like it shuts off

Issue #1: You don't have an aftermarket exhaust, or the one you have just isn't loud enough... I think my front diff could sing the star spangled banner and I'd never hear it over the exhaust :devil:

Issue #2: Sounds like bad gas to me... had a bad tank once and it did the exact same thing. I'd got get a bottle of octane boost/fuel system cleaner (I use STP) just to be sure. :thumbs:

If it's a whinning noise going down the highway, then take it in. There is alot of flashing in the housings from the casting proccess that tears up the bearings. I had to have both of mine done. If it's groaning on low speed turns then it's pretty normal. Change the fluid in the front, and it will quiet it down some.

#2 I wouyld do like Dylan said. Get some good injector cleaner/octane booster, and put it in with a tank of good gas, and see what that does.

The front end noise.... do you hear it at low speed only? I was hearing like a howling noise at low speeds when I turn and it was my power steering pump. Check your power steering fluid. Just a suggestion. That's a cheaper fix than a new transfer case...

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer said that yes they hear the noise. They ordered the parts and are goign to tear into the front diff next week. I guess this is a known issue at GM and they are fixing it. The chevy tech also said that it might have been a better idea to take the SS into a GMC dealership as the have more experience with the AWD system that is also used on the Denali.

They still cannot figure out why it is quiting or explain the shake in the gas pedal.

Archived