Front diff noise...

Hey SS afficianados!...Had a REALLY bad howl/groan...out of my front differential. :shakehead::shakehead: ..when we hit the 20's this winter...could not take her in for a repair, had to drive a friend to Toronto from Detroit a few days after I heard the noise...I heard it under decelleration from 35mph till I stopped...I just changed my front diff fluid...drove 400 miles round trip...had her up to 125mph on a 3 mile straight away in Ontario :driving: ...When i got back to Detroit...no noise...I am happy and surprised...Giver a try? :thumbs:

What kind of oil did you replace it with?

Ive heard a good flush and fluid change can help with this, but I have a feeling if the teeth of the ring and pinion have badly worn spots, from metal shavings interfering w/ the gears, you might not be able to get rid of it without going into it.

Please let us know if the noise stays gone...

Tnx

What kind of oil did you replace it with?

Ive heard a good flush and fluid change can help with this, but I have a feeling if the teeth of the ring and pinion have badly worn spots, from metal shavings interfering w/ the gears, you might not be able to get rid of it without going into it.

Please let us know if the noise stays gone...

Tnx

I used Mobil 1 synthetic 75-90...Used 1 qt to 'flush'...left the plug out and added 1 qt...i do this on my oil changes too...I guess i am weird!!!...but $7 bucks seems cheap if I only need to do it once or twice on my 30k truck...

I will let you know if it comes back...

It was DEFINITELY a howl...during coast/decelleration...from 35mph-stop...wether the diferential was hot or cold...same amount of noise...and i used to get a click-click while parking on tight turns...that 400 mile round trip fixed something...i averaged 70 mph...no more noise

It was DEFINITELY a howl...during coast/decelleration...from 35mph-stop...wether the diferential was hot or cold...same amount of noise...and i used to get a click-click while parking on tight turns...that 400 mile round trip fixed something...i averaged 70 mph...no more noise

Same thing here ,, same as u described ,, 75-80 mph avg. except mine was the total opposite, mine started to sing, after my first run to florida and back

• 2 weeks later...

i have this same noise. after i finally got a dealer to say something isn't right they replaced the front differential. the noise is still here. i'm starting to think i might be a front wheel bearing. truck makes a grinding/groaning noise when turning and sometimes under acceleration.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh well...You guessed it...was driving through a subdivision and I noticed a 'scrapping' noise...kind of like a bad brake pad noise...when i backed out of the driveway, I heard a terrible grinding noise :( ...and you guessed it,,, i went straight to the dealer...I seriously thought i was not going to make it ( 2 miles)...it was grinding soooo bad!!!...the dealer put me into a rental,,,( i bought the extended GMPP warranty)...they called me 3 hours later to inform me I had a bad right wheel bearing :dunno: ...I hope that will be it!!! my truck has 50k on it...

Archived