Ok McGaughy's or Belltech

67camaro02

I highly regard the experience you guys have and I was planning on going with the Mcgaughy's drop kit with my new 22" wheels. After reading the pinned notes from MisterP and then reading his recent review of the kit I am seriously considering going with the Belltech 2/2.

I don't know what to do and so I am turning to you guys. I would like there to be minimal gap between the tire and fender, but at the same time I need to be able to haul and rarely tow.

I've been researching all of this BS for the past few days, but I can't find anything that I just love.

Suggestions???

I was planning the McGaughy's Ultimate kit and the helper bags....I dunno though :confused: sounds like some of you guys really aren't happy with the results.

And lastly could someone please post a pick of a SSS that has the belltech 2/2 drop.

I want to do this while doing everything else, but I want to do it right.

Thank you in advance for any help

As you have an '05 I would go the Belltech dropped spindles, just like JonMalibuSS because your ball-joint architecture is different (to accomodate bigger factory brakes).

The issue that I had was mostly with the REAR of the truck, and these parts are the same in both kits (altered spring hangers and lengthed shackles). So the results in the rear of the truck are going to be near identical regardless of kit. After sorting my issues out there was only one problem related to the kit itself, that is the instant center of the truck really changes so there is a loss of 'attack' or 'hit' on the rear tires at launch, plus under hard acceleration the truck wants to both squat in the rear more as well as lifting the nose - this is an inherent tradeoff in the re-positioning (raising) of the front spring eye.

So, what does this all mean -

1) I would recommend the McGaughy's kit again, now that I now understand all the issues, the front spindles are really good in the '03/'04 application and the rear components will be the same as any other manufacturer;

2) when dropping the rear suspension, you are going to have to double-check the pinion angle and possibly use shims to correct it, an angle-finder guage is $12 at ACE hardware (using the lower hole up front and the upper hole in back did not change the pinion angle from stock);

3) you are not only going to have to attach the rear bumpstops to the frame, but cut about another inch off of them as well (Jon was right, they are still too long);

4) you can drive the truck as-is but if you want that hard AWD launch back you are going to have to do something to return the instant center to a more 'neutral' position, I am planning on installing Caltrac or Slide-A-Link bars, I haven't decided which for sure (hell I might even mount a set of ladder bars :D )

5) the rear of the truck will have a much more 'cadillac' ride than before as the bumpstops are being cut down, and while this is a good thing it really makes it apparent the truck could use a good handling kit and quality shocks;

6) I *am* getting better mileage, 1+ and if you keep the stock sized wheels (31.75" overall) then you might even get 1.5+;

7) get someone that can *really* balance a wheel and align the truck - my issues in the front were grossly out of balance wheels, and the truck kinda wanders over really rough potholes so in my case I'm still looking for someone that can align this beast.

Mr. P.

So my options are use the Belltech kit (but uses keys not spindles) so thats a negative

Use the McGaughy's which will cause issues with the joints (unless I then turn the torsions) which is a negative because it will effect handling

or buy drop spindles from Belltech and then buy the shackles hangers for the rear from McGaughy's or Belltech...still end up with a 2/4 drop but still has issues with traction

Maybe I'm not getting it...but it sounds like I have no GOOD solutions :dunno:

This is frustrating as hell :banghead:

So my options are use the Belltech kit (but uses keys not spindles) so thats a negative

Use the McGaughy's which will cause issues with the joints (unless I then turn the torsions) which is a negative because it will effect handling

or buy drop spindles from Belltech and then buy the shackles hangers for the rear from McGaughy's or Belltech...still end up with a 2/4 drop but still has issues with traction

Maybe I'm not getting it...but it sounds like I have no GOOD solutions :dunno:

This is frustrating as hell :banghead:

I know, that's why I re-read everything from past postings. Everything is a compromise, you are just seeking the best compromise for you. If you are not in the serious led-foot crowd then giving up some maximum performance for maximum style is a great trade. I'm just after both :D I'd say for sure plan on the Belltech dropped spindles; the biggest question IMO is what to do about the rear. And as you are running big heavy rims I would not see an issue using the shackles/hangers in the rear and calling it good.

Mr. P.

I have the belltech 2/2 drop, I am really happy with it. It still keeps the stock rake which I actually like and drops the front down really well so the tires are nice a hugged against the body.

As people can attest I have a problem posting pictures, still haven't took the time to learn...but trust me it looks really nice. The truck looks more sporty and less lowrider IMO.

Archived