Instrument Cluster noise

2003SilvSS

I have a pet peeve on rattles inside of the cab of my SS. Saturday I noticed a new one, so Sunday I tore into the dash to find it. My findings was that the instrument cluster is making the noise. I pulled it out and you can hear what sounds like is a hard drive running in it. You unplug the instrument cluster and it quits. It sounds like a needle inside of their rattling. Anyone else ever have this happen? I didn't do one thing that just stands out in my mind as starting it. Any suggestions on fixing it? I don't know if I can take the back off the cluster to get into the guts of it or not.

Brian

chevy has a tsb out about it, pretty common problem yet oddly enough, no tsb about the speedos dieing???(stupid chevy). next the speedo will stop working and pin itself at any increment it finds good form 0-120. You have to replace the whole cluster to fix the problem.

and, its covered under warranty. if your out of warranty call gm cause they will usually work with you cause they know about the problem.

Can someone post a copy of the Service Bulletin???? If I go the local GM dealer, they will probably tell me that they have never heard of that. If I have the service bulletin in front of me, there's not much they can say other than helping me out. Thanks!!

Brian

Bulletin # is 04-08-49-015 I can't post it cause i can't figure out how to extract it from all data, but if you want i could print it for you. it actually deals with the tach stepper motor. but the speedo is a major issue also. but still no tsb on that. either way, the cluster assy. is one unit. pm me if you need more info.

Archived