Drop ???'s

SCIV

What's up guys.

Getting ready to drop my VHO and was wondering if I need to change shocks? I am using 2" drop spindles up front, so I am pretty sure the stockers will be OK there.

Out back, I am using shackles & hangers for 4 inches. Do those need to be changed? If so, I have a line on new IAS drop shocks for a 2wd. Are the VHO shocks the same as an SS, which would be more like a 4wd? Or is a 2wd VHO more like a regular 2wd when it comes to shocks? Or am I way off base?

Thanks guys.

PS - I finished up the install on my ATI Procharger...I hope to have new #'s in the next few weeks. :driving::ughdance:

everyone is pretty much using stock shocks. i remeber chp saying they had a set of bilsteins but they are "in develpoment" according to bilstein.

Sounds like your going to have a pretty quick truck. what are you using for traction?

everyone is pretty much using stock shocks. i remeber chp saying they had a set of bilsteins but they are "in develpoment" according to bilstein.

Sounds like your going to have a pretty quick truck. what are you using for traction?

So the stock shocks will work with a 4" rear drop? If so, cool.

As far as traction, the only change I have made so far was changing 305/55/18 Nittos. I am sure Caltracs or something similar will be needed before long.

So the stock shocks will work with a 4" rear drop? If so, cool.

As far as traction, the only change I have made so far was changing 305/55/18 Nittos. I am sure Caltracs or something similar will be needed before long.

Yes stock shocks will work just fine this is what I am running. Just a suggestion with a 4" drop completely remove you rear bump stops and the mount they are bolted to you may occasionally bottom out over large bumps if you are going to fast over them but you will learn how you need to drive it after the first few bumps you bottom out on. If you even install one of those small urethane bump stops you will bottom out a lot sooner and a lot more even they are only like 1/2" tall.

no bump stops = bad idea

stock shocks and a 4" rear drop doesn't work for regular silverado, how can it be ok for the vho's?

drop shocks = doestch tech

:flag:

Out side of notching the frame which most guys don't wanna do running no rear bump stops is the only way to do it! You tell me why it's such a bad Idea? I have had mine this way for a long time and have no issues with it.

I dunno about a regular silverado but I can compress my shocks past where it would bottom out so I don't understand where you are comming off saying any of this when you don't even have one :smash:

Out side of notching the frame which most guys don't wanna do running no rear bump stops is the only way to do it! You tell me why it's such a bad Idea? I have had mine this way for a long time and have no issues with it.

I dunno about a regular silverado but I can compress my shocks past where it would bottom out so I don't understand where you are comming off saying any of this when you don't even have one :smash:

I don't have a one? Isn't the vho the same as a regular Silverado with few more ponies?

If you hit a surprise bump in the road and don't have time to slow down you can crack your axle with no bump stops.

You can dop it but, shocks are designed to sit at a certain height, you running stockers with them compressed that much means your not getting the proper capability/feel out of them. Do you think it rides bad?

Anyways it's your truck, but why not spend the extra couple bucks on it.

I don't have a one? Isn't the vho the same as a regular Silverado with few more ponies?

If you hit a surprise bump in the road and don't have time to slow down you can crack your axle with no bump stops.

You can dop it but, shocks are designed to sit at a certain height, you running stockers with them compressed that much means your not getting the proper capability/feel out of them. Do you think it rides bad?

Anyways it's your truck, but why not spend the extra couple bucks on it.

Actually it's not the same as a regular 2wd silverado because it has tortion bar front suspention and sits much higher stock than a regular 2wd silverado.

As far as a "suprise bump"... it would have to be one hell of a bump for you not to see it and have it bottom out. If this is the case you shouldn't be driving a lowered truck! Also these trucks don't have the wimpy little rearend that the regular siverados have you could crack one of those without a problem.

The truck rides much better than stock dropped and untill these shocks wear out there is no reason in the world to change the shocks, and when they do wear out I will just replace them with a new set of stock shocks.

You don't have to change the shocks but I did. I'm using the Edelbrock IAS shocks (Summit part # EDL-34023) in back and stock in front but I'm going to change those when I get a chance as well. I didn't really like the way the truck bounced around when it was stock so that was my motivation. The freeways that I drive to work and back really blow (5 & 10 especially!). Also, I've been lazy and haven't removed the bump stops and that's been a major mistake. Geez this thing rebounds now! I will be getting the short bump stops however since I haul one or two dirtbikes and the roads to the tracks and in the desert are pretty crappy. On a side note, if you install a carrier bearing relocator on the truck (which you should), pay careful attention to how the stock one bolts up. Jon's bolts run horizontally as do most but mine bolted vertically. McGaughy's made me a special bracket that they'll be selling to cure this problem with their kit. I don't know how any of the other kits mount up so I can't tell you if you'll have a problem with them or not.

You don't have to change the shocks but I did.  I'm using the Edelbrock IAS shocks (Summit part # EDL-34023) in back and stock in front but I'm going to change those when I get a chance as well.  I didn't really like the way the truck bounced around when it was stock so that was my motivation.  The freeways that I drive to work and back really blow (5 & 10 especially!).  Also, I've been lazy and haven't removed the bump stops and that's been a major mistake.  Geez this thing rebounds now!  I will be getting the short bump stops however since I haul one or two dirtbikes and the roads to the tracks and in the desert are pretty crappy.  On a side note, if you install a carrier bearing relocator on the truck (which you should), pay careful attention to how the stock one bolts up.  Jon's bolts run horizontally as do most but mine bolted vertically.  McGaughy's made me a special bracket that they'll be selling to cure this problem with their kit.  I don't know how any of the other kits mount up so I can't tell you if you'll have a problem with them or not.

Yeah all that stiff bouncieness went away when I dropped it now it rides very smooth.

i guess i'll just go back to lurking on this site, instead of posting.

Naww man it's cool just don't state things that are unknown. The VHO and SS sit about 2" higher than a regular 2wd silverado there for when we do a 4" drop and you do a 2" drop the two trucks will sit about the same. If you dropped your truck 4" it would probably sit on the frame. 4" in the rear of a VHO or SS will leave a good 2" between the axel and frame which is plenty of travel for normal everyday driving. If it is a major concern to the person who wants to drop their truck 4" in the rear I would recomend a set of helper bags with a few Lbs. or pressure just to stiffen it a little bit they would also be good for towing if your that low.

i do have a 4" in my back with no notch

so your truck is a 2/2 drop not a 2/4 drop?

It's about 3.5" up front and 4" in the rear. this is why they sit about the same. Mine may look as if it sits a bit higher than your but your tires are also a bit shorter.

Archived