powder coating

were the hell can you get wheels powder coated for 25$ the guy i know is 130$ a wheel and thats a deal as they have to sand blast the chrome off and my rims are 22's.....powder coating is the way to go my rims are almost brand new and i wash em everyday yet they still pitt from brake dust and stuff..........powder coating is very durable and wont chip crack or rust im gonna get mine gloss black

Well if you can get it done for 30 bucks a wheel, do it. Be sure you get your wheels back though. You really want someone who has been coating for a while to do things like wheels. No warranty sound like not good work.

I just recently started part-time at a shop doing coatings, we get about 70 bucks a wheel to do what chase has, and 100-140 to do the entire wheel. That of course is due to size.

As far as chrome goes it cost more because of prep. The under lay of nickel plating is killer to remove. When doing chrome we charge by the hour, versus per wheel.

I'm powder coating all my suspension, diff, brackets you name it...

It's DURABLE, and has a much more finished look than a spray bomb for sure. The only drawback is that MY powdercoater doesn't sandblast, they require the parts to be cleaned by those supplying the parts- my CERAMIC COATER will sand blast for prep, but not the powdercoater..?

:dunno:

I'm powder coating all my suspension, diff, brackets you name it...

It's DURABLE, and has a much more finished look than a spray bomb for sure. The only drawback is that MY powdercoater doesn't sandblast, they require the parts to be cleaned by those supplying the parts- my CERAMIC COATER will sand blast for prep, but not the powdercoater..?

:dunno:

Odd, parts should be blasted to get the impurities off the parts. Ceramic coating gets sandblasted, then glass bead, then acetone before coating.

Well if you can get it done for 30 bucks a wheel, do it. Be sure you get your wheels back though. You really want someone who has been coating for a while to do things like wheels. No warranty sound like not good work.

I just recently started part-time at a shop doing coatings, we get about 70 bucks a wheel to do what chase has, and 100-140 to do the entire wheel. That of course is due to size.

As far as chrome goes it cost more because of prep. The under lay of nickel plating is killer to remove. When doing chrome we charge by the hour, versus per wheel.

That seems kinda backwards because it would actually take more work to do what chase has rather than just spray the whole damn wheel and bake. I dont think size should really matter that much from one wheel to another if the place is honest because the powder doesn't cost that much.

That seems kinda backwards because it would actually take more work to do what chase has rather than just spray the whole damn wheel and bake. I dont think size should really matter that much from one wheel to another if the place is honest because the powder doesn't cost that much.

the place i had mine done. i referred to a friend with a rsx type s. I dont know what the hell he was thinking or smoking or possibbly a combination of the two. He got his 17's powdercoated Bright green.I make fun of him everytime i see him.He thinks its "tight" so more power to him.My point is they charged him more because after the guy finished my wheels he said he would never do it that cheap again.The cool thing too is the wheels are also still chrome on the inside.( i havent seen an aftermarket one piece wheel that only the spokes are black and not the inside lip) .

Your right on the cost of powder, it really is not all that much. But believe it or not chases wheels are more prep(tape work) than anything else. Once they are masked off they are coated and baked. Other wheels you would have to sandblast then bead blast before taping for bake. Like chase stated, only the spokes were done, that is easy to tape off.

Archived