Is this cam to big for a daily driver?

thats not a large cam for a 364. ive seen larger cams then that in a 346.

that cams power range is worthless for you in your SSS or equilant. its peak hp is way to high up there if thats the right specs. you would want something with a lesser amount of rpm range for a DD or even an heavy SSS. you would lose some lowend and you need it knowing that an SSS is heavy pig of a truck. also the stock intake isnt effeicent enough up beyond 5400rpms to properly support that cam. you would be starving and hurting in power mor then you would be making. you would have to swap intakes out to somethign that coudl breaht that high up in rpms. also i would suggest going steeper gears with a cam that has a rpm that high.

in hte end its just wrong for what you want it for

that cams power range is worthless for you in your SSS or equilant. its peak hp is way to high up there if thats the right specs. you would want something with a lesser amount of rpm range for a DD or even an heavy SSS. you would lose some lowend and you need it knowing that an SSS is heavy pig of a truck. also the stock intake isnt effeicent enough up beyond 5400rpms to properly support that cam. you would be starving and hurting in power mor then you would be making. you would have to swap intakes out to somethign that coudl breaht that high up in rpms. also i would suggest going steeper gears with a cam that has a rpm that high.

You are wrong on a couple of points buddy. The 346 comment that motor was also an f-body or vette that weighs 1500 less. They run t-rex cams all the time but for some reason I dont think it would work in a SSS. Also the truck intake is fully capable of flowing enough to make that cam work I have a truck intake on my 418 with a much larger cam then posted and its doing just fine. You can gain some hp by going to a diff intake but is NOT necessary.

I would recommend something in the 228 range with a 3K stall. That setup would really wake up your truck.

Comp Cams  54-428-11

at .050 duration

238  230 112 *

.571"    .573"

2200 7200 rpm

is this to much for daily driver

what do you recomend if not this one

thanks dustyn

that should be a 228/230, not 238/230.

that cam certainly isn't too big for a daily driver, but it's going to need at least a 2800 stall or more to be effective and alot of programming to get the idle to be comfortable withing being real high.

You are wrong on a couple of points buddy. The 346 comment that motor was also an f-body or vette that weighs 1500 less. They run t-rex cams all the time but for some reason I dont think it would work in a SSS. Also the truck intake is fully capable of flowing enough to make that cam work I have a truck intake on my 418 with a much larger cam then posted and its doing just fine. You can gain some hp by going to a diff intake but is NOT necessary.

I would recommend something in the 228 range with a 3K stall. That setup would really wake up your truck.

like i said its not large for a 364, remember not all 364 are in SSS that are heavy. some do swap overs but we both know what im trying to get at. some of us have converted trucks that are running the 6.0 and only say about 700 to 800lbs over a fbucket. yes thats weight but its not as bad as 1800lbs like an SSS is.

as for the intake i think you would pick up alot more upper rpm gain with a car intake then the truck intake. its a good lowend intake ill admit that.

something didnt seem right with the specs but like i said if they were correct. now if it said up to 6200 then it be a differetn story over the 7200.

but good catch there bud, and good luck with that 418 you have

You guys make my cam look like the fairy godmother's magic wand. :crazy:

I think I have an insecurity issue with the size of my cam :P

214 / 222 .559 / .566 on 115LSA

She has been working great for my application though :thumbs:

:withstupid: though i would say its a little smaller than what id run  :D

My personal taste would be to run more duration but with less overlap (wider lobe center, like 114-degree). Assuming 228/230-112, make sure you have a very efficient exhaust side because you only have an additional 2 degrees of exhaust duration, long-tubes + catback will be a must with that cam IMO.

Mr. P. :)

edit - in addition to Zippy's recommendation - 2800RPM converter and tuning.

What it all comes down to is tastes. My cam is not the best daily driver to some, but for me it's fine. At very slow speeds, say under 35mph, a large cam makes a truck sound like it has no low end (at least in my exp), like it doesn't like the low speed. That is not true, but it kind of runs and sounds that way. Of course, barely touch the throttle and snap your neck.

So I would say if you wanted to go with a cam that big, it won't sound anything like your stock motor at low rpm and it will need to idle higher - so it won't sound the same when it is stopped either. Where it will make up for it, IMO, is when the pedal is mashed.

... barely touch the throttle and snap your neck

... is when the pedal is mashed.

Where it really counts most! :thumbs:

:withstupid: <---X2

Xa bunch

my cam likes all speeds guess its just in the tuning

Read this part one more time.

....like it doesn't like the low speed. That is not true,.......

It's all in the exhaust not.

Archived