McGaughy's 2-3 drop kit

Stanley

Does anyone have any experience with a McGaughy's 2-3 drop kit with the factory tires and rims on a Silverado SS?

Yes this forum has probably the most collective experience with this kit of anywhere else on the internet. Check out the Suspension sub-forum, and especially the Collection of Lowering Notes and Best Practices topic. If you have any more questions please use the site search or ask.

Mr. P. :)

ps - welcome to the forum :chevy:

edit - I also posted a couple how-tos as well when I did my McGaughy's install - check the How-Tos sub-forum.

I love mine. I have not had any problems with mine. Stock tires worked fine too. I went with the 2-4" drop and turned the tortion bars 1 turn looks good, but I had to bag the back so it didn't look funny when I tow.

So......what is the best way to go? 2/2 or 2/3 drop? I have a 05' ECSB VHO.

I too was thinking about air bags in the rear for towing purposes only with a drop.

Is it better to have a slight rake at the rear or have it totally level.

When I measured my ride hidth ,I only found that the rear is only 1" higher than the front. Is that correct or is it 1.5"?

McGaughy's seems to list a 2/3.5" drop. What should I go with??? This will be my first truck to lower. I want to get all the insight before I do it so I don't regret what I do to my suspension's ride quality.

Any helpfull info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Just had the local Les Schwab do the Bell Tech 2" spindles, hanger and Firestone bags on my 2wd 06...what a sweet kit. Front in now down 2" {duh ?} rear with 10# in the bag measures exactly where it was before at the trailer hitch, lowering the front raised the rear a little which was off set by the hangers and bags. I'm eager to tow my ski boat and travel trailer now. Before the drop truck felt "big" like the front was high now its a level ride and feels sportier. :seeya:

Just had the local Les Schwab do the Bell Tech 2" spindles, hanger and Firestone bags on my 2wd 06...what a sweet kit. Front in now down 2" {duh ?} rear with 10# in the bag measures exactly where it was before at the trailer hitch, lowering the front raised the rear a little which was off set by the hangers and bags. I'm eager to tow my ski boat and travel trailer now. Before the drop truck felt "big" like the front was high now its a level ride and feels sportier. :seeya:

I'm assuming you used the bags in the rear for towing purposes only right?

Or does your truck rely on the bags for rear suspension?

I would add the bags for towing purposes only myself.

Jim

Anybody wanna venture to guess the number of threads about McGaughy's drops?

Or better yet I think someone needs to compile the information to do a "What drop?" to "Which CAI?" to "Which exhaust?" ratio. :jester:

Or better yet I think someone needs to compile the information to do a "What drop?" to "Which CAI?" to "Which exhaust?" ratio.  :jester:

Over 120 I know, I read most of them back in January. That's what I tried to do was condense it into one FAQ-type thread; it's nowhere near complete though. I'm installing torsion keys soon (seeing LedFoot's truck convinced me) and then correcting the drivetrain working angles so I will be adding more information at that time... :sigh:

Mr. P.

So......what is the best way to go? 2/2 or 2/3 drop? I have a 05' ECSB VHO.

I too was thinking about air bags in the rear for towing purposes only with a drop.

Is it better to have a slight rake at the rear or have it totally level.

When I measured my ride hidth ,I only found that the rear is only 1" higher than the front. Is that correct or is it 1.5"?

McGaughy's seems to list a 2/3.5" drop. What should I go with??? This will be my first truck to lower. I want to get all the insight before I do it so I don't regret what I do to my suspension's ride quality.

Any helpfull info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

If you get your truck on a level surface I’m sure that the rear is a little over one inch higher than the front. Therefore a 2/3 drop will make the front and rear level. According to everyone I talked to you will save yourself a lot of trouble if you have the complete Deluxe 2/3 kit installed. Also, you probably want to install the air bag if you plan on towing anything.

If you get your truck on a level surface I’m sure that the rear is a little over one inch higher than the front. Therefore a 2/3 drop will make the front and rear level. According to everyone I talked to you will save yourself a lot of trouble if you have the complete Deluxe 2/3 kit installed. Also, you probably want to install the air bag if you plan on towing anything.

• 2 weeks later...
:withstupid: The 2/2 drop leaves the truck with the factory rake; the McGaughy's 2/3.5 drop leaves the truck with a 1/2" rake (appears level).

Mr. P. :)

Alright guys!

I ordered the 2" Belltech lowering spindles yesterday. Now what McGaughy's kit do I need for the rear that will include the shackles, hangers, 3* pinion shims, and carrier bearing spacer? 3" kit or 3.5" kit??? :confused:

One other question. The guy that is going to install the kit asked me if I will be changing out the rear shocks. He said that I should be fine with the factory shocks, but said it could be close to bottomming out the O.E. rear shocks.

So can I still use my O.E. shocks or do I need to replace them? My truck only has 23,000mi on it, so the shocks are no where near worn out.

If I need to replace them, what shock should I go with?

My truck is a 05' VHO.

Thanks for the help guys!

Jim

Or better yet I think someone needs to compile the information to do a "What drop?" to "Which CAI?" to "Which exhaust?" ratio.  :jester:

Over 120 I know, I read most of them back in January. That's what I tried to do was condense it into one FAQ-type thread; it's nowhere near complete though. I'm installing torsion keys soon (seeing LedFoot's truck convinced me) and then correcting the drivetrain working angles so I will be adding more information at that time... :sigh:

Mr. P.

At least eleventy billion!!!!!!

-Korey-

Archived