Ground Force Kit

Wizard

:cool: I just received my ground Force kit today. Total was $376.06 plus shipping. Good looking kit, included all that has been posted before. I was told by GF that the ride is actually better than stock. Lets hope.

:rolleyes: Was kind of hoping for more than a 1" front and 2" rear drop. We will see how it looks. Will post pictures later. I have a local shop here that does multiple lowerings on Escalades and other Silverados. Talked to the guy in the back and got a deal (good guy) to install and align for cheap.

I think I spoke to Kevin at GF cant quite remember, but he states there is no crossmember mod necessary. Well I will let everyone know how it goes.

Wizard. :thumbs:

I know that the guys for GF are active on the forum so I dont want to piss anyone off. Maybe BAD SS might be the guy to ask he was the test mule for them. Anyway I will have the kit installed and let you guys know what I think. Unfortunetely I am one of those guys who follows the rules and dont want the guys at GF upset. The secret will be let out soon enough Im sure.

On another subject, I know Disneyland is supposed to be the "happiest place on earth" but why in the hell do I wish I was installing my kit instead of flying out there this weekend? :cry:

Wizard

I will probably get the kit eventually because it is a good deal for shocks, keys, etc...

But what can they really do to the rear? Shackles and Hangers? New leafs? Not much you have to do to get a 2 inch drop. I doubt anyone will be surprised when the "secret" is let out.

My drop shackles work great! I just need keys to stiffen the front back up. The comment above about the ride being even better scares me. I thought they said the ride was the same. Better is so subjective. Many people like the ride of mine better after I dropped it. But I don't. I only notice it on really bouncey roads at high speeds but it is softer. The only other thing to worry about is a very slight vibration in the steering wheel when I goose it from 55 to 70 mph. I have to hold the wheel with my finger tips to notice. I have done a lot of research and I am convinced that it will be fixed once I get a 2 degree shim. Just putting it all off to find out more about this groundforce drop. I guess it is time to call them again.

Here is another pic of the 45 dollar drop: :)

33430289.jpg

Well... minus the alignment. Oh.. BTW, this is a 1.5/2 inch drop.

I don't understand why it's such a secret? :confused: The people that have already purchased the product have no worries of retaliation. What are they going to do, "Bad customer, now I'm going to have to take your kit back!" :D Is it that easy or cheap of a mod that you don't even need their kit? Oh well, I don't want to get anyone in trouble with the product police!!!

P.S. Just so everyone knows, I'm being sarcastic. :thumbs:

Why can't we all know about the rear mods? Can't we just buy the kit and find out for ourselves?

Silvsteve, are you planning on shimming the rear? I'm curious how it turns out after that, vibration-wise.

Well now I am even more confused about the "secret". Called Ground Force again and spoke to 2 very helpfull techs. Here is what they told me:

Kit #9971

2" in the rear

1.5" in the front (adjustable)

Straight foward install probably take about 4 hours. Only special tool is the torsion bar unloader.

Kit includes:

Torsion bar keys (re-indexed)

Groundforce Shocks and boots front and back

Bump Stops

Drop shackles

All the pins and bushings you will need for the install

He also said they tried different shims and none of them made a difference.

Now for the big secret:

Load leaf conversion instructions. They convert the load leaf. Take the top leaf and put it on the bottom. See why I am confused? They were more than happy to explain it to me.

I also spoke to him in depth about putting sway bars on it. He said that sway bars will help but you will really have to push it to notice a difference. They suggested upgraded to Toyo's or other performance tires first or the sway bars are just gonna make your tires squeel more and possibly slide.

I will be getting the kit as soon as I have the extra cash. :) They also said 4 wheel parts have them in stock now.

PS: I still want to see some pics!

Now for the big secret:

Load leaf conversion instructions. They convert the load leaf. Take the top leaf and put it on the bottom. See why I am confused? They were more than happy to explain it to me.

How is that a big secret?? We have been doing that for years around here to lower trucks.... :confused:

Yhanks for the P.I. work Silvsteve!!! Now I wonder if I can just do that and buy torsion keys. Also, they shackle the rear too right?

Yeah.. 2 inch drop shackles. Here is their parts page.

http://www.groundforce.com/compopag.html

Keep us updated!

hangshac.jpgpage6a.jpgHS2599-4.jpg

All the sbove are pics of hangers and shackles. Groundforce, Belltech, and DJM. You can see the difference between different shackles... um :rolleyes:

I also spoke to him in depth about putting sway bars on it. He said that sway bars will help but you will really have to push it to notice a difference. They suggested upgraded to Toyo's or other performance tires first or the sway bars are just gonna make your tires squeel more and possibly slide.

I don't believe a single word of this.

Anything to add? I would love more on this topic.

Thanks for all the info.

The 2" drop is scaring me. At the risk of offending, let me just say that I'm afraid it will look too "south of the border," even though I've liked the pictures I've seen.

I'm going to expose my ignorance here with a few questions:

1. Is a 1" drop worth considering, or not worth the bother?

2. The best I can tell, a 1" drop in the front with Ground Force's kit would be no problem. Are drop spindles out of the question rather than these "keys" I keep reading about? It seems to me that maintaining the stock suspension with a drop spindle would be a good thing. Are they available for a 1" drop (or at all)?

3. Are rear shackles available for a 1" drop?

4. Would one use the same leaf spring swap trick as mentioned above in a 1" drop?

I look forward to any education you all can give me (pertaining to a drop kit--not which color is fastest! :D ).

Anything to add? I would love more on this topic.

Well, my last truck was a '99 GMC Sierra that had a complete Hotchkis Performance handling kit under it and the difference was night and day. Anti-sway bars are designed to do just that, keep the body sway down. They don't have a warning that unless you have certain types of tires that they won't make a difference. My complete kit involved progressive rate sport springs for the front and and diff leaf springs in the rear that gave a 2-4 drop. I drove around for a week without the lowering, just sway bars, and was blown away. I believe that anti-sway bars will make a huge diff over the stock ride in this truck, I don't see how they can have a detrimental effect, as this guy implies. Although, I know diff tires wouldn't hurt either. Just my opinion.

Thanks for all the info.

The 2" drop is scaring me. At the risk of offending, let me just say that I'm afraid it will look too "south of the border," even though I've liked the pictures I've seen.

I'm going to expose my ignorance here with a few questions:

1. Is a 1" drop worth considering, or not worth the bother?

2. The best I can tell, a 1" drop in the front with Ground Force's kit would be no problem. Are drop spindles out of the question rather than these "keys" I keep reading about? It seems to me that maintaining the stock suspension with a drop spindle would be a good thing. Are they available for a 1" drop (or at all)?

3. Are rear shackles available for a 1" drop?

4. Would one use the same leaf spring swap trick as mentioned above in a 1" drop?

I look forward to any education you all can give me (pertaining to a drop kit--not which color is fastest! :D ).

Drop spindles would be great if it were 2 wheel drive, you must remember, we have a half shaft for the front running to the tires. :)

Archived