Auto Climate Control Problem

knightrider2000

Got a good one for you guys, even has my local stealer stumped :banghead:

2005 Silverado SS

It has the automatic climate control in it, it is set (push auto for 5 sec) for both sides to be the same temp.

When it is in auto mode, and set at lets say 65 and cabp temp is higher than normal 85-90 the fan speed will only come up about 4 bars on the little graph, UNLESS you turn the temp down 1 degree, then the fan speeds the rest of the way back up, you can increas you temp back to your previous temp and everything works fine..

I know that it takes a little bit to get a/c working and get cooled down and for fan to speed up but i let it set for 15 min going down road other day, before i got tired of it and lowered temp one degree and everthing was fine after that.

Truck has about 10k on it now, a/c worked great when it was new.

Sounds like you found a software bug; I would ask the dealer if there is a later software flash/upgrade for the computer operating the climate control. :dunno: I have an '03, and many times I have to 'double-click' to turn the system on or off - I've just gotten used to it but I would also expect it to be a software programming error.

Mr. P. :)

I'll mention that when i take it back they wanted me to wait till it got a little warmer, to work on it some more prob take it back week after next, he said something about replacing the control unit in the dash, but that they jsut couldnt stick one in there and see if it fixed it or not, that warrenty wouldnt do that.

Sounds like you found a software bug; I would ask the dealer if there is a later software flash/upgrade for the computer operating the climate control.  :dunno:  I have an '03, and many times I have to 'double-click' to turn the system on or off - I've just gotten used to it but I would also expect it to be a software programming error.

Mr. P. :)

i have to do that double click as well on my 03 also, other than that i have no other issues but yours does sound odd with the fan speed

Is it acting any different than when it was new, or did you just not notice?

What happens if you let it run for about a minute or so, does the speed kick up then?

The system has a thermostat, thus "auto" climate. When it first turns on, I believe it takes a little bit of time to determine the temperature before it decides whether to put the fan on high, med, or low. This is why it starts in the middle, does the check and then, at least for my truck, kicks up to high if the sensed temperature is a good amount higher than the desired temperature. If it is only a few degrees difference then he fan will never kick up.

Give it a chance to see if it kicks up on its own.

Yea it is acting different then when it was new, started bout a month ago but i ddint pay it much attention due to the temp. last week temps were in high 70 low 80 here which put truck inside prob pushhing 100 with the climate sitting on 72 ac raised up to 4 bars and never moved an inch (15 minute drive) didnt touch it to see if it would ever change, as soon as i droped it one degree, it moved right on up to full then backed its self down when cab cooled down.... this on has really got me stumped.

Matt

I think mine doesn't kick on high for a minute or two. I think it's designed that way to not blow 100° air at full blast on you. Not saying that yours isn't messed up, it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.

EDIT - just re-read your post and realized my reply was what you already knew, damn it's too early

Edited by yeary03SS (see edit history)

Yea it is acting different then when it was new, started bout a month ago but i ddint pay it much attention due to the temp.  last week temps were in high 70 low 80 here which put truck inside prob pushhing 100 with the climate sitting on 72 ac raised up to 4 bars and never moved an inch (15 minute drive) didnt touch it to see if it would ever change, as soon as  i droped it one degree, it moved right on up to full then backed its self down when cab cooled down....  this on has really got me stumped.

Matt

What temp did you have it set at? It will react differently depending on the difference in your setting and the temp inside. I set mine on 65 in the Summer. If I set it any lower it doesn't cool fast enough for me. Keep it set at 60 (I think that is as low as it goes) and see what it does. Also, although I know you mentioned - both sides are set to the same low temp.

Damn, I wish it was warm enough here to need that. There's a big Bass out there with my name on it, but I like it a little warmer.

• 1 month later...

Well an update, Several Several service trips, and two different dealerships later and not a bit better, they have replaced the air temp sensor in the headliner, replaced the hvac module in the dash, and reprogramed the computer a few times.. I know i have had it in at least 5-6 times for this same problem, and they cant seem to get it fixed. Anyone got any ideas? someone told me i should the chevrolet 800 # and tell them all the problems, and see what they would do, does anyone know if this would help or not, ifi i might actually get somethign outta chevrolet?

Thanks

Matt