Metal in coolant reservoir

Luke

I just got done changing my oil and noticed a small pile of metal shavings in the bottom of the coolant reservoir. Has this happened to anyone? Better yet, is it normal or do I have a problem?

Also does anyone use a K&N oil filter? At 12 bucks a pop it would be nice to be able to use it for more than one oil change. I haven't been though. Thoughts?

Never seen that before and I do this for a living. How many miles, any running concerns, etc. Need a little more info, the only thing I can recommend is flush the cooling system and see if anything else comes out.

As for the oil filter I used it for the first 2 oil changes cause they were out of stock in the other ones, as long as you change your oil regularly a good filter such as a purolator, fram etc works just as good. I run Mobil 1, that with a K/N filter cost about $80 in parts :crazy:

I've never seen this problem either. But, I would not automatically say you have a problem. As long as the cooling system is holding pressure and circulating coolant I would say all is ok, but tawss04 is right flush that crap out of there before it rips up the bearings/seals of your water pump and/or clogs your radiator. If the truck is under warranty I would consider taking this concern to the dealer.

Mr. P.

I just turned over 16450 miles and it runs perfectly fine. I did replace/swap the thermostat at about 3000 miles (new coolant too). The only thing I'v added is that royal purple coolant additive (ICE).

Archived