track time!!!!!!!!

HOLSTEIN

Still don't understand the point of an 1/8 mile dragstrip :dunno:

They are good for testing your launch, but other than that that's about it. I refuse to go to them.

There is not much difference between a 1/4-mile track & a 1/8-mile track to a real racer. In the 1/4-mile you just hold the pedal to the metal a little longer (the 1/4-mile is harder on the vehicle though). If I had a choice, I would choose 1/4-mile, but 1/8-mile is acceptable.

Take a look at these time slips. I ran my car at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (1/4-mile) Feb, 2006 and ran it again at Irwindale Dragstrip (1/8-mile) Mar, 2006. Only major difference is I let off the gas a few seconds later in the 1/4-mile.

I am in the right lane here, on a single run.

2199572_6_full.jpg

I am in the left lane here.

2199572_7_full.jpg

this will be my first time at the track w/ the sss.. it is just a 1/8 mile, but im anxious to see what ill run.. a bunch of guys from work are going, a couple fox bodys, a 59 vw beetle w/ a 2200 cc's and a 150 shot, a turbo'd  t/a, blah...blah....

any ideas what the sss will run???? my mods are below and the temp will be in the high 50's.........

thanks

Mid to Low 9's @ about 75mph, enjoy :chevy:

If you have not already done this (Click Here)

and print out the chart and take it with you.

Let us know how you do. :thumbs:

AND THE WINNER IS.............................................................................

zippy, of course :crazy:

60 ft 1/8 et 1/8 mph react

1st 2.18 9.54 74.74 .44

2nd 2.17 9.58 74.37 .42

3rd 2.18 9.65 72.69 .37

4th 2.21 9.59 74.46 red light -.0031 crap :mad:

3rd round, it looks like you might have let off before the finish line. If so that one probably would have been in the 50's as well. :dunno:

Thanks for the results. Hope you had fun. :chevy:

Take a look at these time slips.

Quick little Vega! Is it a small block? Any power adders, or all engine, or?

:thumbs:

CrAzYMoPaRGuY, thanks for your interest. I am going to keep this brief since this is HOLSTEIN's thread. I only posted those time slips to show how a 1/8-mile track compares to a 1/4-mile track. If you compare all of my incremental's on those two time slips above, you will see that a 1/8-mile track is actually very similar to a full 1/4-mile track and is more than just "good for testing your launch". All of the tracks that I compete at are 1/4-mile, but I would never discourage any one from going to a 1/8-mile track.

As for my Vega, it has a 91-octane, pump gas burning 406 cubic inch small block Chevy engine, that is an old school, 1975 2-bolt main 400 block, bored .030" over, it is still stock stroke, with flat top pistons. Naturally aspirated it runs 10.50's @ 128mph. With a small shot of nitrous I have gone 9.70's @ 139mph. I have only pushed the car into the 9's a few times and there is plenty more power available. I race in a 10.60 Index class, so normally I don't need to go quicker than 10.60's. It would be fun to see how quick I could get it to go, but I usually don't have the extra time for that. Anyhow, it weighs 3100#, I run 91-octane gas on or off the nitrous, my back tires are 235/60R-15 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials (26"x 8"). I drive it to and from the local track, but I trailer it to the far away tracks. I said I would keep this brief and I could go on and on with the details, but not in this thread. Sorry, HOLSTEIN!!!!! :chevy:

Archived