TOWING CAPACITY OF THE SS

ginnie ss

WE NEED TO PULL OUR CAMARO SHOW CAR, WE HAVE A 24' ENCLOSED TRAILER AND WE NEED TO KNOW THE TOWING CAPACITY. THE WEIGHT IS BETWEEN 7600-8000 POUNDS, WE KNOW THE ENGINE WILL PULL IT BUT HOW ABOUT THE SUSPENSION?? THE DEALER WAS NO HELP AT ALL AND THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS FOR THE SS TO ASK YOUR DEALER. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. GINNIE :confused:

it's rated at 7400 if i recall correctly. it's likely going to be rather soft at that. not sure why you'd have bought a half ton truck to pull that much weight. i'd say it's possible, but you're not likely going to be happy with how it pulls at that much weight.

Welcome to the site. You are in the picture posting area with no picture! You are fired! :jester: EDIT: Was this moved? Swore it was under the picture section. Must be tripping....

Silverado SS

AWD starting at $40,195*

*Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Tax, title, license and optional equipment are extra.

Key features:

345-hp High-Output Vortec 6000 V8

Heavy-duty Hydra-Matic four-speed automatic transmission

All-wheel drive

Z60 High Performance Suspension Package

Lowered ride height (approx. two inches)

Tuned 3.5-inch side-exit exhaust

Specific front bucket seats with leather seating surfaces and “SS” embroidered head restraints.

White backlit gauges

Five-passenger seating

7,600-lb. trailering capacity(1)

1 Maximum trailer weight ratings are calculated assuming a base vehicle, except for any option(s) necessary to achieve the rating, plus driver. The weight of other optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the maximum trailer weight your vehicle can tow.

From Chevy.com

NO PICTURES UNTIL IT'S TRICKED OUT. JUST GOT IT MONDAY. THANKS FOR THE IMPUT ON THE TRAILERING. THE TRAILER WEIGHS 3600 LBS. AND MY MOTION L-88 CAMARO MUST WEIGH ABOUT THE SAME, SO ABOUT 7200 OR SO. WE HAVE A SHOW IN 3 WEEKS IN TENNESSEE AND WE'LL FIND OUT!!! GINNIE :thumbs:

I have been posting questions - and now answers - regarding towing, for some time on this site. I have years of experience towing all kinds of trailers and rigs - and I can tell you this - my SS is one of the best handling trucks I have ever pulled with. I used it a few weeks ago to tow my 30' travel trailer up into and thru the Adirondack mountains. The trailer weighs in at 7500 pounds, and I had the truck bed LOADED with firewood, toolboxes, etc. NOT A PROBLEM !!

I was mostly worried about the suspension - but I think some of the other guys who have posted to this thread may not fully understand what's most important here ------ you do not need an "anti-sway bar" - - you should have "weight distributing torsion bars". My bet is that you already know this -

The SS has far better pulling power than even a 3/4 Ton with the 6 litre engine, because of the AWD. The tow haul mode on this truck is awesome.

Why not ask the dealer if you can hook your trailer up for a test pull - - - - don't laugh - I have done this numerous times, and nearly everytime without objection from the dealers! GM always posts these towing capacities conservatively.

Gotta give Zippy credit for his (very opinionated) "opinions". I see half tons pulling big rigs all over the place - and have for many years. :thumbs:

MWALLS54, HI, THE MUSCLE CAR SHOW IS IN PIGEON FORGE, TENNESSEE AT THE GRAND HOTEL AND CONVENTION CENTER. WE WILL BE HAULING OUR '68 BALDWIN-MOTION L-88 PHASE III CAMARO. WE WILL BE HAULING IT IN OUR 24' PACE ENCLOSED TRAILER. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW (SHE) PULLS IT!!! GINNIE :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

GM Canada, comes in at 7,500 Lbs Max which converted into laymans terms means that you should not be pulling anything above 7,000 lbs, do not forget this is a lowered suspension vehicle and we are lucky to get this much ooomph.

Dodge had a Dakota R/T :jester: that was supposed to pull 6,500lbs and revised it to 1,000 all because of lowered suspension. They even refunded complete units for this.

I will be towing 5,300 lbs with my ride.

Dr Mike

:cool:

Hi guys, my Husband just got back from the Muscle Car Show in Tennessee and here is how the truck did. The car and trailer weight about 7800 pounds. Plenty of Power and Brakes although we did race one of the guys leaving the show on Interstate 75 going up a steep hill, he had a Duramax with a similar trailer and he outpulled me.. The only reason he (my husband) raced was because he kept getting on it everytime he got next to me. He didn't beat us by much.. I do suggest a stabilizer bar as going down the mountains you do get some sway. The truck really didn't sag down much at all. The gas mileage was a Whopping 10.9 miles a gallon. Oh yea the Truck got as much Attention as the cars inside the show, everytime we came out people were looking at it and Spinning the Wheels!! Next trip Chevy Vette Fest in Chicago. Ginnie SS :devil:

Archived