Right Side Power Window Malfunction...

HOLSTEIN

ive noticed for some time that my r side window is slower then my l....my father had his replaced out of warr on his 00 silverado.... well today i went to roll it up and it stoped.. after pushing the button up and down it took off and went up... its under warr so its good but i wonder if it is the switch or the motor? looks like its off to mr. goodwrench

I know there have been threads on this before....I will see if I can find it here in a little bit....

The problem is that the window regulator is cable driven....which means a tiny little braided cable runs the glass up and down.....and eventually, either the cable becomes bound, a roller will break/seize, or the cable tensioner will snap...it is a very common problem with this type of system, and most manufacturers are using them in their vehicles (one of the first to go to this system was the Dodge Caravan....and let me tell you, I have replaced a LOT of those!!!)

Well, warranty would probably apply here....

The GM part # is: 15101786 (right) or 15101785 (left)

Current list: Right: $255.07 Left: $219.30

My book shows GM allows 1.0 hours to install (it is really a cake job....probably one of the easiest to do)...but dealership labor is in the $55-$60 range here per hour....so that should give you a pretty good idea of what it would run!

Because now GM can sell more parts!!!!!

It has actually gotten so bad that even aftermarket retailers are making/selling them. The last time I was in the local NAPA store they showed me that they were now selling them....but I forgot to ask them what they were retailing for....

Another possible answer for why they went with the cable systems is that they are very quick as far a up/down times.....they are also very quiet....and they can fit in a small hole in the door....there are only 2 tracks with cables running between them, it is easy to sneak them into the door!