Need some info...

Ok so i have a 1969 el Camino 396 SS... it has a built 396, bored sixty over, 9.5:1 compression, stout cam, rebuilt heads, intake, hedders, the list goes on...

I was debating e-fans for it with an electric water pump... I have an aluminum radiator for it too... my question is, for those who know, what are the pro's and con's of having a combo like that over a pulley pump and fan, other than HP gains... Its not a race car, just an old cruiser with some BB power and a Muncie 4 speed :D

So if you guys could give me your $0.02 on this i would appreciate it alot!

Thanks in advance! :thumbs:

you don't even gotta do all that...keep your pully'd pump and put a nice billet pulley on it but DONT run a fan...then run your elictric fans...

you have the nice cooling of the dual fans, and power increase of the reduced drag from the fan!! :flag:

Big Blocks are great!

the electric water pump is overkill...w/ the nice aluminum radiator you have and a nice dual fan setup the stock pump with flow plenty to keep it cool...

the content above is strictly my opinion and experience!! :jester::thumbs::cheers:

~Brian

Gonna have to agree w/ these 2.....I have a pulley'd pump and 1 electric fan on the Cobra...its a 427 small block....never...ever see's past 180 even sittin still on those hot summer days in traffic....get out in the cool air and it doesnt even think about gettin close to 180.........electrip water pump on the street....not worth it...jus get some nice pulley's...

I concur with all of the suggestions mentioned above. Get a good strong set of e-fans, a nice high-flow replacement water pump, and save your bucks on the electric water pump...they're not intended for extended use, they're made to go 1/4 mile at a time, a few times a week :D

I agree with everybody as well, although, I could never beat my steel 5 blade fan. I tried electric and over heated and I tried flex fans and overheated...but that all could be that I also live in AZ and was having those probs in the dead of summer. Unless your looking to show off the engine compartment, I'd stick with a nice steel fan, but if you'r looking to clean it up and show it off...elec. fans and nice billet pullies are the way to go. As far as the pumps...aluminum or steel, it don't really matter...aluminum disapates heat faster but that ain't gonna make any differance with the pump.

ok, what's your guy's opinions on aluminum or iron water pumps? :dunno:

No difference in cooling performance, but there will be a weight advantage. Also remember that there might be a difference in the impellers and that will affect pump volume (cooling) and pump drag.

Mr. P. :)

Congrats on the purchase...I have a 70 SS396 4 speed, only now it has a 11 to 1 454 with LS-6 heads and intake. I would run the factory 7 blade clutch fan. It funs a ton of air, has a thermostatic clutch, and I read a CHP or Hot Rod article that had dyno results to prove that clutch fans rob less HP than a flex or fixed fan. I am running an aluminum water pump with a oversized impeller and the factory 4 core radiator. Big blocks do have a tendancy to run a little warm. If you have heat problem you can always cut the center out of your thermostat.

Another wise investment with a 4 speed a-body is a set of Edelbrock upper control arms and a pair of lift bars. They raise the mounting point of the upper control arms for better traction and they virtually eliminate wheel hop. Combine those with a set of factory or boxed lower arms and you're set. Later

Dave

ok, what's your guy's opinions on aluminum or iron water pumps? :dunno:

No difference in cooling performance, but there will be a weight advantage. Also remember that there might be a difference in the impellers and that will affect pump volume (cooling) and pump drag.

Mr. P. :)

I had an Edelbrock aluminum water pump in my old S-10 (the old 4.3 V-6 uses the same water pump as the SB V-8). I used it to get a quality pump that I would not have to replace every 20K miles. It did a better job cooling the engine, and lasted longer than the stock pump. :thumbs:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc...umps_main.shtml

Electric water pumps run great at the track, and for cruising to the local hangout they will work usually, but the highway is not electric pump friendly from what I have seen in my buddies cars.

The water temp creeps up and up on the highway, the electric water pumps have ONE speed, whereas the mechanical pump varies with engine rpm.

There is an Australian company making a street friendly electric water pump now, but they are pricey!

I agree with the masses, aluminum rad, good water pump, and a high cfm mechanical or electric fan and you should have no troubles!