PICS: what a difference 3M Finesse-It makes

Where is a good place to get the 3M products?

NAPA has it for sure, but price will be $$$. I found the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze at O'Reily's for decent price but they did not have the Finesse-It.

Mr. P. :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work P! I've given my truck and wife's car the Meguire's #26 wax twice this year already and they look awsome... I'm going to try our next door neighbor's product for the next round though, called "Rick's Best" from http://www.prevettes.com to see if that's any good. His business cars are black and always look perfect sitting here in our parking lot... :cool:

Now I found this truly impressive.

BEFORE - this is a clean fender, washed with Dawn detergent

Do you really wash your vehicles with dish soap? Just curious, don't know ya well enough to tell when your jokin

Dawn dish soap will remove waxes. If you are going to use a different type of silicone product or acrylic product (der shiney stuff) you dont want to put that down over wax. So, thats why Dish soap. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

3M just came out with Ultrafina 3000 SE (swirl eliminator) made especially for dark colors, made to be used with a polisher. I was having trouble with the finish of certain vehicles in the sunlight (swirling marks). Since I ve used it I haven t been out in the sun with the vehicles yet to see, but under the shop lighting most of the swirling looks to be gone. :dunno: Gonna do the truck this weekend. Either Napa can order or body shop suppilies carry it and it s about $45 for the bottle.

that came out amazing. my truck looks like that under the lighst to and it kills me looking like that. ill have to get some of that stuff. and after you do that you wax it?
Yup you still need to protect your clearcoat (it's just paint minus the pigment). If you get the Finesse-It do yourself a favor and get a Porter Cable D/A polisher; you'll never make meaningful progress by hand, it'll take weeks.

Mr. P.

Mr P what speed did you have your 7424 buffer set for? I just picked up the same buffer on ebay.  2500rpms? thanks :)

Bill

The DA speed isn't measured in RPM, it's OPM (operations per minute). Mine's got a thumb dial on the back going from 1-6; I put the compound on the pad in a X shape and blot against the truck, then start the DA on about 2.5, then after the polish is evenly on the sheet metal and there is less risk of it slinging off everywhere I speed it up to 5 until done. The hardest thing is avoiding pressing down too hard, because that stops the pad from spinning; it's still vibrating but that alone is not putting enough heat into the clearcoat to remove any material (which I suppose is safer than the opposite), the faster the pad spins the better the result.

Mr. P.

Thanks Mr. P.  definately appreciate being schooled even at my age  lol.  I should have known it wasn't RPM'S  :banghead:  I purchased the 3m finesse it from NAPA for 40 bucks. .  expensive stuff.  But i liked your results that much..  Thanks again

:thumbs:

Don't take any schooling from me - I'm just learning as I go. :lol: