will it hurt my SS if I leave 1,700+ lbs

SSThunder

I've got the bed filled up with landscape blocks(68 blocks at 25 lbs ea.) + a couple other items. The weight should be around 1,800 or so total. Will it hurt my shocks are anything else if I leave the stuff in the bed of my SS over night? Need quick answer

Thanks, Jeremy

:cheers:

Disclaimer: "I'm not an expert at this",

but I don't think it will mess anything up. I've left my boat hooked up to my truck for several days in a row and I haven't had any problems, but I haven't carried 1800 lbs in the bed. The tongue weight of my boat is probably around 500lbs. I've also had about 500 - 700 lbs of crap in the back of my truck while pulling my boat, and I did leave it over night. Not sure if this info helped you out or not.

I would say that you should have been fine. Just make sure that when having that much weight in the truck that you run the tires to their max pressure listed on the tire and just make sure that you don't have so much weight in there that the thing is setting on the bump stops just sitting there. If the truck is on the bump stops without moving you are taking a chance at bending an axle tube. Hauling that much weight is also very hard on the axle bearings. On the 2wd models with the 9.5" rear this isn't much of a problem as that differential was designed for 3/4 ton trucks and can handle the weight much easier.

Tom - does your truck bounce a lot when you go over bumps? Seems like it would. Your trailer has a serious lean to the front. That will make it bounce really bad. I have experimented with the level-ness of my trailer quite a bit and the ride differences.

Tom - does your truck bounce a lot when you go over bumps?  Seems like it would.  Your trailer has a serious lean to the front.  That will make it bounce really bad.  I have experimented with the level-ness of my trailer quite a bit and the ride differences.

I agree, the tongue looks low. I would explore those hitches that adjust upward.

Well, I've been meening to flip my 2" drop hitch over but I've been lazy. It does bounce a little bit, but it's not that bad (I'm sure it'd be much better leveled out). Most of the time i pull the boat a grand total of 2 blocks, but one of these days I'll pull my head out and get a new hitch or flip the current one over.

Well, I've been meening to flip my 2" drop hitch over but I've been lazy.  It does bounce a little bit, but it's not that bad (I'm sure it'd be much better leveled out).  Most of the time i pull the boat a grand total of 2 blocks, but one of these days I'll pull my head out and get a new hitch or flip the current one over.

Must be nice living that close to water. Wish I did, but then again I would probably spend way too much time on it if that were so.

I had 3 different hitches to choose from from previous trucks and still ended up buying yet another to get it where it rode right. My boat actually rides better with the tongue end being just a tad higher than level. About an inch. Be surprised how much difference one inch can make.

Must be nice living that close to water.  Wish I did, but then again I would probably spend way too much time on it if that were so.

:wtf: uh Do you not get out much??? or get out during the day.

What is that supposed to mean? What's wrong with liking to be out on the water?? I am a Sailor. :P

Aren't you due to go to Alaska again soon?? You were a lot quiter there. :D

Must be nice living that close to water.  Wish I did, but then again I would probably spend way too much time on it if that were so.

What is that supposed to mean? What's wrong with liking to be out on the water?? I am a Sailor. :P

well you do live around the water just making sure you realize that. :P OH i will be coming thru this coming saturday and next saturday

well you do live around the water just making sure you realize that. :P OH i will be coming thru this coming saturday and next saturday

Not Bass waters. I have a tournament this Saturday - they moved the date up a week at our last meeting. Other members had regional tournaments to make. What time? I should be home about 6pm or so. Next week is cool.

Well, I towed the boat more than a couple blocks this past weekend. I probably only pulled it about 60 miles, but after you mentioned my ride being "bouncy" I couldn't stop noticing how bad it actually is. I'll definatley be adjusting the receiver hitch. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

My trailer used to hold the rear down quite a bit. I just put in bags with the dual controller so I kept the sway help. Ride height stays the same no matter what I tow or load in the bed. Works pretty slick, only $400. total. :cheers:

Archived