brake controller

usmcchevyss

I just used the "search" function of the site and it helped out yet again. I just want to make sure I understood what I read. I am going to be putting electric brakes on my trailer very soon. So I am going to want to install a brake controller in the SSS. From what I was reading, all I have to do it plug the controller in?

Also what brands of brake controllers are good and bad? ANy help would be great. thanks in advance for the advice

Bryan

Prodigy makes a real good brake controller. And yes, you just use the

brake adapter plug that came with your truck and install a fuse in the

box under your hood. Very simple. Your Manual I believe gives you info

on it.

Steve

Yes, the controller plugs into the BCM under the dash (it's the plastic box where you left foot likes to rest). The is also a fuse that needs to go in the 'under the hood' fuse box.

I am sure that it is all laid out in the directions that comes with the controller right.... ?

The harness should have came with the truck if not you might have to get it from a dealer. Then you hook up the controller to the harness. :thumbs:

I know I commented on this one before....I will see if I can find it for you....

I have put Tekonsha brake controllers on all of our heavy trucks here at work. The company that I purchased them from gave me free shipping and also gave me a free wiring harness. The supplied harness simply plugged into the back of the controller, and then under the dash into the BCM. All I had to do was mount the thing, plug it in, and adjust the controlls!

Here is the place that I got mine.....free 2 day shipping, and a free vehicle specific harness....like I said, plug and play (I am not necessarily putting plug in for these guys, but I have purchased 3 different controllers from them, and have had very good luck).

brakecontroller.com

Prodigy brake controller is what you want. It plugs in under the dash. Really simple. It should take you a half hour to install it if you have the wiring harness from Chevy to plug it in to the stock plug. The nice thing about the Prodigy is the ability to take it out when you aren't using it. It has plug in the back so you can diconnect the controller and leave the wiring behind. I plug mine in and leave it on the floor.

I can have one shipped to you for under a $200. Suggested retail is $229.

Put mine under the dash and to the right, away form my knee. But I can still reach down and hit the manual brake lever for it. Put 2 of the three screws of the mount into the metal under the dash. That way it can be removed without leaving any visible holes.

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg