Muffler ROAR!!

SCIV

OKAY, I thought I had done all the research and listened to everyones opinions, but I must have missed something. I want straight through performance, but not the drone. I installed my 3rd Magnaflow (DI/DO 3" with built in X), and dumped it at the axle with the dumps facing outward & downward on about a 45* angle.

HOLY COW it is sooooo loud inside. :mad: I have to go back to my Flo-Pro for now because it makes everything rattle so bad, including my brain.

Well my fellow VHOer's (and SSer's), what did I do wrong? I was sure after reading all these posts that dumping was a big help, that I had found the cure. All I did was add more of a problem. :banghead:

Will a resonator help? Should I just scrap this idea? I am so pissed because I took months to make this decision, and this setup is the loudest & drones the most of them all.

well you didnt do to much research :D If you want something that can get loud but still be quite on the inside without spending a ton of $$$ on a full system, get a hooker aerochamber dual in single out and put a 12in long dump on it. Mine is nice and quiet on the inside and nice and loud outside when i'm on it

i have that same set up but duals out the side. i love it, nice and loud just how it should sound. i guess the resonation doesent bother me . Wot just sound scary. i tried running it dumped for a while and it sounded like ass imo.

Really...if you didn't like the Flo~pro, there aren't many things out there that you'll be happy with. My Flo~pro is about what my stock muffler was. It got quieter the more miles I put on it and is now perfect, although I never felt it was loud at the install.

I also hate drone. I just went with a Gibson Performance Exhaust cat-back. When I first hit the key, I immediately noticed a deep rumble that I did not have stock. It is noticeably louder and deeper around town. On the freeway, I can barely tell it from stock. I am seeing better mpg around town and on the highway. I will need to drive it some more before I get real mpg numbers.

I want something that will complement the ATI with 10psi. I really don't care about it being loud outside, I just want it quiet inside. I guess I was trying to get a system for max flow with the S/C, but maybe it isn't that important? Maybe I am asking too much?

Face the dumps AWAY form each other, and make them AT LEAST ~12" long.

I did a lot of experimenting with mine (I own a MIG welder, so I took them off and on a few times, to say the least!)...and what works the best was a 12-15" dump tube.

When they both pointed the same direction (pipes side-by-side), it still resonated.

When I faced them away from one another, all the resonation was gone.

Hopefully the same simple change will work for you.

(FWIW, I run dual 2.5 in/out Magnaflows)

- Brian

Face the dumps AWAY form each other, and make them AT LEAST ~12" long.

I did a lot of experimenting with mine (I own a MIG welder, so I took them off and on a few times, to say the least!)...and what works the best was a 12-15" dump tube.

When they both pointed the same direction (pipes side-by-side), it still resonated.

When I faced them away from one another, all the resonation was gone.

Hopefully the same simple change will work for you.

(FWIW, I run dual 2.5 in/out Magnaflows)

- Brian

WOW, thanks Orion!!! I am going to try that first before cutting it all off. Man, I hope you are right!! If it works, I owe you a :cheers:

go with corsa??

its what i got and im happy with it no drone

:withstupid: I know a few people who have Gibson's (including my brother on his RCSB 5.3,) and it is really quiet. Way TOO quiet for me. My brother want's louder too. The performance doesn't seem too bad with it though.

go with corsa??

its what i got and im happy with it no drone

:withstupid: I know a few people who have Gibson's (including my brother on his RCSB 5.3,) and it is really quiet. Way TOO quiet for me. My brother want's louder too. The performance doesn't seem too bad with it though.

Your right, there is definitely a performance gain with a Gibson Performance Exhaust catback. The muffler is a straight-through core design for maximum flow. The Gibson systems are designed for maximum performance and a nice deep sound out the tailpipe, but are quieter in the cab than the rest. If you want straight through performance without a lot of in cab noise, go with Gibson. If you want lots of noise go with something else. I believe the topic starter was looking for a good flowing, quiet system though.

gibson1_superflow_175px.jpggibson2_superflow_175px.jpggibson3_superflow_175px.jpg

Edited by 06VHO (see edit history)