Took a drive into Kings Canyon today

Decided that since I've been back in CA for 3 months now and Kings Canyon, Sequoia and Yosemite are all so close to my parents' houses, I'm going to be making some trips to all three.

Hit up Kings Canyon today, and man was it a good time to go. They just opened up the road down to the North Fork of the river yesterday, and it was flowing in full force, perhaps the highest level it has flowed in many years.

Peak on the left is about 1000ft higher than the truck, right peak a good 3000-4000ft higher. :eek:

ss_rocks.jpg

A look towards the river canyon from about 5500ft. Base is around 3500, snowy peaks are assumed to be around 11-12000ft and a good 15 miles away...

canyon.jpg

View of canyons from about 4000ft elevation

mountains.jpg

A very cool road to drive on

river-road.jpg

Small snow runoff waterfall

small-waterfall.jpg

For some reason, I really like this picture. :dunno:

awesome-mountain.jpg

river-bend.jpg

rocky-mountain.jpg

Base of General Grant (3rd largest tree in the world, 40ft in diameter)

grant.jpg

Kings River was RAGING today :eek:

river_flowing.jpg

I remember going up there years go when I was young to the Sequoias (sp)? There was one which had fallen over and the center of it was hallow and you could walk threw it and not touch the top thats how big in diameter it was. If I remember right it was the largest tree in the world. WAS...

I remember going up there years go when I was young to the Sequoias (sp)? There was one which had fallen over and the center of it was hallow and you could walk threw it and not touch the top thats how big in diameter it was. If I remember right it was the largest tree in the world. WAS...

I didn't get any photos of that one as there was a family blocking it, but I don't think it could compare to the 40ft diameter of grant. Maybe it was the tallest one of those redwoods. :dunno:

Edit: That tree is the one on it's side in the background below.

Edited by .justin. (see edit history)