Front Brake Ducts

i think it would be bad ass if you could get them chromed, if someone found out how the guy selling the chrome emblems on ebay is chroming the m, im sure its possible. i have seen a chrom border,stocker type thing but i would like the whole thing chromed!

I read this on one guys custom plating website:

Q. I have purchased an after market part and want to know if it can be plated?

A. We will only plate after market parts purchased from approved dealers. Not all after market parts are made the same. These parts must be capable of withstanding temperatures of up to 180 degrees and if the plastic is too soft and not made from the correct materials, it will warp or shrink. We have tested parts from some manufacturers and they meet our criteria for plating and therefore, we will only plate after market parts purchased from approved manufacturers.

I think the front ducts are made of fairly soft plastic, so I don't know if they would be able to be plated. The guy told me that he can plate our SS emblems though for roughly $10 per piece of the "S". Each "S" is two pieces, so roughly $20 per "S".

There is a shop in Orange, CA called "Classic Components" that specializes in chroming plastic, I found them when looking to have some plastic pinball machine parts refinished. Their website is http://www.classiccomponents.com/ It is actually a process called vacuum metalizing, similar to the old Revel car models' chrome and 60's GM car dash bezels, but I don't know how it would work on the brake ducts. The process is expensive, and they had about a 2 month backlog when I was there.

There is a shop in Orange, CA called "Classic Components" that specializes in chroming plastic, I found them when looking to have some plastic pinball machine parts refinished.  Their website is http://www.classiccomponents.com/  It is actually a process called vacuum metalizing, similar to the old Revel car models' chrome and 60's GM car dash bezels, but I don't know how it would work on the brake ducts.  The process is expensive, and they had about a 2 month backlog when I was there.

email sent!

ok well here is what they told me price would be about 100 each vent, this is a process called chromecote its a metalized coating with a clear coat . and from their examples it looks pretty good,

examples found here!

so as soon as i find an extra set of vent im going to send them out to get coated.

There is also a place called Chrome Dynamics, the do the chrome plating on plastic. Prices are pretty fair, then again not really much to base it off of. The website they have isn't working but they do have a phone number.

Chrome Dynamics website

Also here is their phone number 561-253-4452

I think it was around 150 to do engine covers, thats what I was going to have done.

wow after thinging about it75 each for ducts and 100 to plate them im at 350 ill put this one at the end of my list! if i can find a real good deal on a used set of ducts i may do it but 75 is my price at the dealership and that still alot.

ok well here is what they told me price would be about 100 each vent, this is a process called  chromecote its a metalized coating with a clear coat . and from their examples it looks pretty good,

examples found here!

so as soon as i find an extra set of vent im going to send them out to get coated.

I also emailed them for a price quote on plating the SS emblems and they said it would be $5-$7.50 for each piece. Each "S" is 2 pieces, so it would be $60-$90 for all 12 pieces. (not including the dash SS) I had orginally intended to buy some new emblems from gmpartsdirect until I found out the $50.94 price is for one "SS" only. :wtf: So, I guess I'll live with the "brushed aluminum" look. :(