for your opinions..

xlr82sxs

this will be the first time my new truck has ever had an oil change. have always ran conventional in past vehicles and have been leaning towards synthetic for the truck. is it worth paying two to four times more for a quart of synthetic oil?

what ups/downs come from synthetic? i hear you can gain a little HP & torque..[?] :cool:

:confused:

I've always been a beleiver in using better oil. I run Mobil 1 in my truck and most of the other ones I've owned (not in my beaters). If you plan on keeping it for a long period of time I recommend it or at least use a good quality oil- castrol, valvoline, Mobil ect, I'm not much of a fan quakerstate :puke: .

I run Mobil 1 5w30 and I change it every 5000mi, the extended life Mobil 1 oil is a selleing gimmick all Mobil 1 is extended life, Jiffy Lube started that 3k oil change to sell more services.

Mobil 1 was first marketed as extended life when it came out orginaly so it really wont cost much more :thumbs:

I've been a fan of Castol for years. Ran 10w30 in all my stuff. I switched to Castrol Syntec 10w30 about a year ago. At about the second oil change I had an improvement of 1.5 MPG, plus, I increased my oil change intervals from 3000 to 6000 miles. So really it's not that much more expensive, and well worth it, imo.

The oilk life system must have picked up on the change, too. With conventional it would tell me to change oil, and it was around every 3K mile. Went to synthetic, the system said change and it was around 6K miles.

New engines are designed to have 100% seated rings right off the assembly line, but I would still wait a couple changes before using synthetic (I would do it at 5000-6000 miles). 5W-30 is the recommended fill and does work well if you change the oil often enough. If you are going to go entirely by the DIC oil life meter then I personally would run Mobil1 0W-40, that exact product "recipie" is proven one of the best you can buy and even though you loose a hair of SOTP grunt it just refuses to break down over the long haul.

I am not a fan of the Royal Purple products; too expensive for mediocre protection in my judgment; again, that's just my judgement reading internet feedback. But I am a huge fan of AMSOil products, if you drive it like you stole it and can afford to run their product then definitely buy it.

I am trying a different approach, I am running Mobil1 0W-30 with changes at 3000-mile intervals and so far the truck just loves it, instant oil pressure at start-up, 50-psi pressure at 2500-rpm at operating temp :thumbs: Since my LQ9 hits 80psi oil pressure at 6000-RPM on 5W-30 I figured running a lighter base-stock oil would not hurt it at all and so far so good, no oil consumption, heat/abuse thinning, or other noticeable issues.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

I've heard alot of good things about the 0w30 and 0w40 Mobil 1. I just can't bring myself to run the thinner based oils for some reason. Maybe I'm just stuck thinking old world technology. I'm just now getting into banking online. :crackup:

Amsoil oils can go 25,000 miles before changing. You change the filter half way through. Changing any 100% synthetic oil is throwing your money down the drain, (IMNPO) in my non-professional opinion. Amsoil is rated #1 in any test that I have seen run by independent companies.

I change my filter at 10k miles and change my oil at 20k miles. Been doing it that way for 14 years.

I understand the oil will not break down in 20K, but what about dirt, and other things that can develop in there? I see you change the filter at 10K but I m just not sure? BY the way Amsoil is all my boat dealer now runs and they leave it in for two seasons.

I understand the oil will not break down in 20K, but what about dirt, and other things that can develop in there? I see you change the filter at 10K but I m just not sure? BY the way Amsoil is all my boat dealer now runs and they leave it in for two seasons.

:withstupid: I have had the same issue - years ago I tried the same strategy with Mobil-1 and by 12K-miles had lost the engine due to contamination.

I run mobil 1 synthetic in all of my stuff...lawnmower, snowblower, car, truck etc...only reason I picked mobil is that I mainly run thier fuel...and if i am on a trip and need to top off (never have! LOL) it is easy to get mobil at any gas dtation in the usa...just my .02...

Back in college I drove my dads 1989 Olds Delta 88 w/ the 3800 engine. Changed the oil every 3,000 miles (10W-30)...with what ever was cheapest at the auto parts store. Motor went 397,000 miles and all that was ever replaced was the timing chain. It was on the end of its 2nd transmission before we retired it.

Food for thought, although maybe with synthetic it could have went 1,000,000 :D

DW