Short story and a question

BOB47

Yesterday evening I went down to Home Depot to get some stuff. While looking around in one aisle, I see this guy about 20ft. away shuffling through a handful of pieces of paper. As he turns to walk away I notice that he drops something. I yelled to him that he dropped something and he looks towards me for a second then walks around the corner. Absolutely no response or acknowledgement from him at all. Curiosity gets the best of me and I walk down and pick up the piece of paper. It's a scratch off instant lottery ticket! A quick scan reveals it's also a $1000.00 winner. :eek:

So I started looking for the guy and spot him a couple aisles over. I walk up to him and from about 10ft. away I said "Hey, you dropped this in the other aisle."

This guy just gives me a blank stare and turns to walk away again so I raised my voice a little and said "Oh, this must not be your lottery ticket" He immediately turns around red-faced walks up to me and says "oh yeah, that's mine." He grabs the ticket out of my hand and walks away without so much as a "thank you " or " kiss my a$$" or anything. :dunno:

Everyone I've told this story to says they would not have even tried to give it back. His bad luck, my good luck. I gave it back because it wasn't mine. :banghead: Just the way I was raised, I guess. Even though the guy was an A$$ I still felt good about giving it back.

What do you think? Should I have kept it? What would you do?

If you told him he dropped something twice and didnt acknoledge you i would of kept it. If i had a winning lottery ticket for a $1000 in my pocket I would have my hand on it at all times till that b!tch was cashed

hmm that give me an idea for a prank, you can but those lottey tickets that are fake(10k winner) from spencers , it woould be pretty funny if you dropped it right in front of somebody to see what they do!

in your case after telling him twice i would have thought well that must mean it was meant for me to find and keep . or if he didnt say anything and just came and ripped it out of my hand i would have held on to tightly so when he yanked it , it would tear in half! at least sayt thank you. sorry call me a dick if you want !

Your A.O.K. in my book.  As stated above, your gesture will be rewarded.

Not looking for a reward or a pat on the back. I know I did the right thing. Just can't believe how many people said I was stupid for doing it. :confused:

Ever watch "My name is Earl".  :D

Only watched it once or twice. Funny thing is my legal name is Earl but I've always gone by Bob.

Tough one! I guess it would depend on my mood at the time. This does kinda confirm a philosophy I have about how a$$hole type people and slackers seem to fall into luck, but honest straight-up people have to bust their a$$ to get anywhere. Even with that said, I still have to have faith in the idea that honesty and hard work will be rewarded. Handouts are for slackers I guess. If I did give it back, I probably would have said something to point out the fact that he was being a big dick about it.

P.S. I no longer give my money to Home Depot -- too many discouraging experiences. Lowes now gets my business. My personnal opinion

Edited by tehoatim (see edit history)

One word for you, KARMA!

What you did will be done to you ten fold somewhere down the line. You did the right thing in my book although I don't know if I would have been so nice after asking a few times and him acting the way he did. I would have at least called the guy and @$$hole! :D

BTW: I found $57.00 attached to a money clip at work a few months ago and it's still sitting in my truck to this day. I totally believe in karma hence the reason for not spending it. I won't turn it in because I know whoever I turn it into to will spend it. :nono:

P.S. I no longer give my money to Home Depot -- too many discouraging experiences. Lowes now gets my business. My personnal opinion

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::flag::flag::flag::flag:

I feel the same way!

Edited by r8rs4lf (see edit history)