launching 2wd

TheGunny

Hey went to irwindale last thursday and ran the 1/8 mile for the first time in my 06 ss

here are the times

R/t -1.007

60- 2.176

330- 6.251

1/8-9.641

mph-73.15

I'm pretty sure my R/T sucks, I have Volant CAI and magna flow dual in out catback.

Didn't know how those times were for those mods? I am going again thursday but this time i am going without a full tank of gas and taking out my subs.

Anyone have any advice for launching the 2wd??

thats about right that equals a 14.9 in the 1/4

your reation times definatly needs work, red lights are no good. but it also depends on what kind of tree the strip is using!

Do a mild burnout with it and put the rear tires at about 26psi. Make sure the traction control is off. Try launching from a dead idle and also try bringing the rpm up to about 1200. One of the two will give you a harder launch. From there, just watch your 60' times.

without tires i always had good luck with stab throttle 5/8ths then give a full throttle it sets the suspension up better i guess. works for me and i told others and it works for them

As for your r/t's, if you stall up a little you need to leave on the third amber or if you leave from an idle you need to leave on the second amber. Here is one of my time slips from Irwindale. I am in the right lane.

time3fk.jpg

Just wondering...cuz i also have a 2wd 05 SS automatic, do you ever shift down in first and manually shift up even if you have an auto?? and just to get this clear you alwayz leave the traction control off?? i ran mine in a 1/4 over the weekend and got

R/T-----.333

60-----2.584

1/8-----10.413

1/4----15.949

MPH-----88.15

was kinda dissapointed but i could of been doin a few things wrong, everything is stock besides the flo~pro exaust....if there is any other tips to runnin 1/4 mile lemme know...thanks

wow what was the elevation of that track, i think those are some of the worst times ive seen for a stock 2wd ss. defiantly try leaving it in 3rd next time and try not to spin to much off th eline but that is going to be hard. just do a nice burnout maybe let some air out of your tires(check zippy;s post for how to do a burnout)

but gettin a decent launch shouldnt be too hard with all that stock tq management!

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

I also recomend running with the a/c on while you are at the track with your truck. make sure you don't use the tow/haul mode and try not to get the engine any warmer than you have to. It will run it's best times with the temp gauge just off the bottom number.

Just wondering...cuz i also have a 2wd 05 SS automatic, do you ever shift down in first and manually shift up even if you have an auto??  and just to get this clear you alwayz leave the traction control off??  i ran mine in a 1/4 over the weekend and got

R/T-----.333

60-----2.584

1/8-----10.413

1/4----15.949

MPH-----88.15

was kinda dissapointed but i could of been doin a few things wrong, everything is stock besides the flo~pro exaust....if there is any other tips to runnin 1/4 mile lemme know...thanks

It's all in your 60'. Your mph doesn't seem to be off much since your trukc is stock. After some practice you should be able to get your 60' time down in the 2.1 range.

a/c on?? wtf?? wouldnt that loose horse power and keep the engine warmer??

Running the a/c in an 05' and newer truck is going to make sure that the e-fans run all the time (stock they don't come on until well over 200 degrees). The a/c compressor will kick off at wide open throttle.

Running the a/c in an 05' and newer truck is going to make sure that the e-fans run all the time (stock they don't come on until well over 200 degrees). The a/c compressor will kick off at wide open throttle.

But wouldnt this heat up the tranny though? I know when my a/c is on the tranny temp goes higher than usual.

But wouldnt this heat up the tranny though? I know when my a/c is on the tranny temp goes higher than usual.

as zippy said, the '05 and newer trucks that come factory equiped with e-fans have a very high fan setting. my trans temp will get over 200f idling without the a/c on. with the a/c on my trans temp stays around 160f.