8psi supercharger,???????????/

My buddy ran into this guy whom has a 8psi supercharger(powerdyne)i think thats how its spelled,for $2k. Says its new for a 5.3 or 6.0 with all the parts needed to install.

Is this a good deal? Is this worth it? What has to be done to my truck,before i would be able to install something like this?

By the way my truck is stock,except for a Volant CAI.

Any info would be appreciated. thanks guys. :cheers:

8 psi is alot for a non-intercooled unit. You would also want headers, exhaust work, and a very good custom tune to get the most out of it. You will have to ditch the Volant because as far as I know, the powerdyne units use a cone filter in most applications? $2k is a great price for the powerdyne unit. you should expect maybe 90-100hp at the wheels with a powerdyne unit and mid to low 13 sec passes. This is all speculation because I am still fairly new and still don't have my blower installed yet, but I have years of experience with forced induction.

The Powerdyne is a fairly nice inexpensive unit, but if you plan to run one on a 6.0L I'd recomend you look into getting the XB-1A head unit as the standard internal belt driven one will be working hard to make the desired boost levels. Another recomendation is to not run an FMU and install 42lb hr injectors as well as install an intercooler into the system.

Does the Radix w/ intercooler need any modifications to the engine? what psi would it put out without having to do mods? or better yet what will eventually have to be done?

Thanks again for the info guys. :thumbs:

would anybody be intrested in that SC?

The powerdyne is great if you want a mid 13s truck. You need to ask yourself how much you want to spend. I bought a used radix for $3300 and I am still going to be over $6k when everything is all said and done.

Radix- $3300 (used)

Pace Setter Headers - $475(new)

High flow Cats - $120(new)

Trans cooler - $60(new)

Corsa Exhaust - $662(new)

Outlaw Intake - $200 (used)

Yank Torque converter - $425(new)

Planning on Zippy tune once everything is installed - $400?

Zippy shift kit coming soon - $200(new)

HP Tuners kit - $500(new)

Radix install - $500

Trans stuff install - $500+

So with all of that I am at $7,300-$7,400. My budget was $6k...see how easy it is to get out of control? LOL.

You could go with the Powerdyne and be out for $4k with install and some creative cost cutting on headers, tran etc. I could have saved on getting a Trailblazer converter and shorty headers, but why cut corners in this stage in the game. I wish I had $4k more for a built trans.

Mannnn......I didnt know this could be so expensive. All I know is that they give you power and sound great. :crackup: Well ok maybe Iknow alittle more than that.

Well that is definatly outside my budget right now. :cry:

Thanks alot for the info fellas, I have to stop taking trips and buying toys to afford a supercharger. :banghead:

That is a nice mod list for sure. You do not however need about half of it. The system will run fine as is. I would do away with the FMU and get the 42lb injectors though. After that, tuning is the only thing you "really" need. The other stuff you can add as you go.

I agree, you could just by the system as is and purchase a set of 42lb hr multec II injectors for plug and play or SVO 42's and do the change over. Other than that you'd just need tuning. You could do all the rest as money allows. Don't let a big list stop you from buying a supercharger. Mods don't all need to be done in one shot.

Yeah...in retrospect to my post...don't try it like me all in one shot. It has been a headache and nightmare trying to coordinate everything. I have even been strining along Frank from revolution race works and zippy for the tuning sinc eI got the blower three weeks ago. Its killing me seeing the unit in my garage sitting in the box instead of in my truck. But at least the headers will be done by tomorrow morning and hopefully i will have the torque converter by mid week.

HMMMMMMMM... So if I were to get this unit, I would need 42lb injectors and tunning? What do injectors and tunning cost? How long after will I need to start adding all these mods?

Trying to see a time frame..dont want to mess up anything.

Again i thank you guys for the info.

never owned a supercharged vehicle,let alone installed one. But Im excited.

You can pick up a set of low miles MultecIIs for around $250-$300. They won't require any modifications to your injector connectors and will swap right in. A set of SVO 42s run around $350-$400 brand new. They will require you change all of your injector connections over to a car type. That will run you about $30 or so, and a couple of hours soldering in the new connectors. They will require 5/8" spacer to raise up your fuel rails. You can get some 1/4" galvanized tubing at Lowes and just cut to size. Then you need thread matched bolts adding the extra length to the stock ones.

The MultecIIs are obviously the easier way. There was a set for sale a while back in the for sale forum.

Tuning prices will vary by the tuner. Price is in the $250-$500 range. Most will send you a tuned PCM to put in your truck and you just give them your stock one.

If you need 42lbs injectors i have 8 available that I don't use any more. Very low miles on them. I used them with the stock fuel rails and the stock harnesses, like Benkey said: get a pair that can plug into your existing wiring harness. I had to change over to the car type plug-ins for my 60 lbs injectors. THis is expensive and a pain in the butt.

Powerdyne systems are junk. They are the most inefficient blowers I have ever seen. You would be better with just headers. The IATs those things pump out are well over 240 degrees I have seen in person. You would be wasting $2000. I have never met one person who even close to happy with the performance of their Powerdyne system. One of the cars we worked at our shop on a LT1 fbody with heads and cam made 350 rwhp with the 6 psi powerdyne. When the blower was removed it made 365 rwhp. The reason was the IATs were over 240 degrees.

The standard belt driven Powerdyne is only an 800cfm blower. They were originally designed to be a bolt on for truck guys looking for a little more power when towing. They worked very well for that purpose. For going with performance and a Powerdyne though the XB-1A is the way to go which is a 1200+cfm blower. A standard Powerdyne on a stock 6.0L would be ok as long as you kept the truck mostly stock. The heat from the Powerdyne as you mention is from the lack of an intercooler and the fact that someone is trying to use an 800cfm blower on something that takes in nearly that much cfm all alone. When I bought my Camaro it had that same blower on it. I planned on changing the cam and porting the heads so I sold the blower to another guy with a Z28. As far as I know he got pretty good gains from it, but on a pretty much stock engine. Sometimes you have to start from somewhere though and work your way up.