Howling Noise on accelaration

Dr Mike

Just picked up my SS a few weks ago and there is an annoying howling noise on normal accelaration and consistent at 100KPH(55 MPH).

I am not having too much luck in having it diagnosed by dealer and getting this problem corrected.

At times you can even hear it with radio at 1/4 volume.

They blame it on exhaust.

Dr Mike

Thanks for reply.

Don't think it's tires, not familiar with AWD thought it might be or tranny.

It was not there the first 2 weeks, just popped up recently and dissapears if you let up or accellarate to change speed.

Shop Foreman heard it before thinks it could be exhaust related, GM has no idea and wish they were more interested in diagnosing and fixing it.

Dr Mike

GM has issued a service bulletin on its 6 liter AWD vehicles including the Silverado SS, the Cadillac Escalade and GMC Denali. I have an '02 Denali that I took in for this howling noise. The bulletin instructs dealers to install an "internally dampened driveshaft" on the vehicle, and there are separate bulletins for both the front and rear driveshafts! The dampened driveshaft made no improvement towards reducing the noise in my Denali. GM calls the noise "normal". I disagree. I wound up on this forum because I have a Silverado SS in my garage tonight but haven't signed papers on it yet. Kinda funny since I am looking to buy the SS because I was sick of the howling drivetrain in my Denali that the dealer couldn't fix! I know, why did I buy another GM vehicle and another AWD at that! :jester:

At the same time, I left my Denali behind when I drove home in the SS because the Chevy dealer's service manager says he's got the fix, they can take my GMC into their bowtie dealership under warranty and he says he's even fixed some of the Caddy dealer's vehicles across the street. It involves replacing the diff fluid with some type of fluid which impregnates the metal and is then drained and refilled with whatever GM uses - We'll see if this works or not otherwise I'm gonna sell it to someone with worse hearing than me :lol:

Archived