Pace Setter header installation

Started the install this afternoon. I am helping some guys at a local install it. Removing the stock manifolds and bolting up the new headers only took about an hour or so. Really simple with air tools and a lift. Ther eis no reason these can be swapped out in about 30 minutes now that we have done it. We didnt have to remove the steering shaft to get to any bolts. We cut the original cats out and unbolted teh remaining pipes from the Corsa cat back I have on. The biggest problem so far is the custom pipe work. I went to summit racing and bought some high flow cats...only problem is they are much larger in diameter and we are working with larger piping than the stock. I bought the 13" long high flow magnaflow universal cats. The high flow cat slips right over the header flange on the passenger side header. We are going to run a pipe from that to the male end of the Corsa system on the passenger side. The corsa system has two inlet pipes funneled into one pipe then into the muffler. A problem is that we are running out of room to squeeze the drivers side pipe through the opening between the frame, trans and trans cross member. :banghead: The cat from the passenger side takes up alot of room there. We also need to get some tight bends and they didnt have the right sized tubing in stock to complete the job properly. :dunno: We slipped an extension over the drivers side header flange/collector and added a 90degree elbow and then another cat. From there is the issue where the complicated bending comes in. It looks nice so far and I think when it is done, it will look awesome. We also have to weld in the O2 sensor bungs and then its a wrap.

We are holding off until monday :cry: to finish the project at which time I will get some pictures of the finished project and post them. :cheers:

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Not remembering your mods, but if I was blown I'd run custom pipe all the way to your muffler. I wasn't aware that a Corsa system takes the pipe down to one. If it does, it's probably close to the amount of restriction as the stock muffler (not quite I'm sure - but much more restrictive than 2 pipes). If I were blown, I'd want the max flow possible. You may want that anyway as your mod level increases.

Not remembering your mods, but if I was blown I'd run custom pipe all the way to your muffler.  I wasn't aware that a Corsa system takes the pipe down to one.  If it does, it's probably close to the amount of restriction as the stock muffler (not quite I'm sure - but much more restrictive than 2 pipes).  If I were blown, I'd want the max flow possible.  You may want that anyway as your mod level increases.

The corsa funnels two 2.5" into one 3" pipe...not much flow lost there. SS-Blown runs a radix, dynomax headers into a corsa and cans till pop high 12's. With an exhaust change I might pick 3-5hp? I already dropped the coin on the Corsa. The corsa system outflows flowmaster and the magnaflow system on another car. I would have to try to dig up that info.

Yeah. I understand. I did a flow calculation back in college when i was going for mech. eng. degree and the actual increased flow showed like 2hp or something on a 350ci average motor. The bototme line is everyone should go with makes them happy and comfortable. I bet if you took the same truck and put your exaust from the headers back vs. some of the high flow stuff out there like borla, corsa, magnaflow...the quarter mile times would all come in with in a .05-.07 hundreths of each other in same conidtions.

OK...Installation is compelte and these thigns sound Awesome. No leaks, have the cats in with sensors! They did a good job except for some of the welds I thought were just a little sloppy, but who cares, no one ever looks under there anyways. I have pics coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the part #,I have a friend who works at the J.C. whitney warehouse and he can get me his discount on them if I have the part # so thanks a lot!!

Not a problem I had it in my email since I bought some of eabay not long ago, I like them a lot!

Edited by jimenezSS (see edit history)