Pace Setter header installation

• 3 weeks later...

Some advice would be to get the bullet shaped magnaflow cats, they will fit better in the area you have to work with, my pipe bender had to get really creative to get the 13" regular magnaflows to fit.

As far as stock cats go...waste of time. will look like crap and might as well not do the headers, pipes are only 2" or 2.25" or something, huge difference.

Also, I am going ot gut my cats because of all the meltdown issues.

Zippy even said he has seen it happen on stock/near stock trucks as well. If you are stock, then more than likely the DTC's will catch it and you will take it in under warranty, but when you start messing with fuel mixtures etc. and are dumping raw fuel into the exhaust to run rich to be safe during tuning, the ceramic inside the cat will actually ignite the fuel causing abnormally high temperatures, thus causing the ceramic to melt and proceed to clog the cat if the ceramic melts/fragments into enough pieces. There is a ton of info on magnaflows website about cat failures, the causes, and the enevitable outcomes.

Also, you will find recommended universal cats for certain motor sizes and applications on their site, you cant just use any universal cat and hope it works. The ones I got were rated up to 6.2L of displacement and good to 500hp. I am going to gut mine anyways when I install the radix blower.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)