Towing on 20s?

orlando

How much weight do you plan on towing? I don't see why it would effect anything just besure your tires are rated correctly and most wheels do have a weight capacity but that doesn't have anything to do with how much weight you are pulling since most of the weight will be on the trailer you are pulling.

Great whats the hitch load on the SS?  I tow a 16ft trailer  loaded weights 5,000.  Hitch load is 400 to 500lb.  Still good to go?

I have read that the max hitch load is 750 pounds. Concensus is that this is limited by the rims but who knows.

I pull a 7000 camper trailer with no problems. Hitch weight is about 850 without the weight distribution hitch on. With the WD hitch cranked up the rear sits an inch lower than the front (my normal uhnloaded stance perfectly level). I may do air bags or crank up the hitch a bit more someday but too busy right now.

The truck stops better with the assist of the traile brakes than it does on its own!!

Greg

PS. Your trailer will tow allot better is you up your tongue weight to 10-12% of the entire trailer load. Worst case you'd still be less than 750 pounds on the tongue.

I went over to tirerack and checked on the load rateings for 20s-22's and found they do have a lower load rateing compaired to a 17in tire. It makes me wonder if the tow and hitch rateings have been ajusted for the larger rims? Why I brough this up is because GM and others are starting to offer 20's as an option when buying a new truck but yet the rateings stay the same. So is it the same or do we have to figure out the hard way?

Use the proper weight distributing hitch and electric brake controller and you should be fine.

I tow 7,000 to 8,000 with my stock 20" wheels (22' Trailer).

2199584_9_full.jpg