new buys

mwalls54

just orders the flex-a-liek 282 electric fans and under drive pulleys. install should be easy. i know there is a on the install of both of them but i cant find them.

Be sure to use a three-jaw puller for the crank pulley, not a two-jaw. You can buy the one from am-pro (I think that's the name) at a lot of your parts stores for about $25. Also pick up a new crank bolt. That bolt is a torque-to-yield bolt that actually stretches on install. You can probably get by with re-using, but if you want to play it safe.....

i have just about all the tools i would ever need to work on a motor, i used to work at advance auto so got tools real cheap, i ordered the kit from tbyrne that comes with the belt and new bolt. about how long did it take for you to do the install on the fans, few hours? thanks guys

Fans are pretty quick. I spent more time messing with that freaking pulley when doing my cam than working on the fans. My stupid pulley puller was too large to easily fit the stock crank pulley. Still not sure I have the crank bolt torqued tight enough - supposed to be 240 foot pounds, which is enough to shatter your hand if you make a slip.

i have just about all the tools i would ever need to work on a motor,  i used to work at advance auto so got tools real cheap,  i ordered the kit from tbyrne that comes with the belt and new bolt.    about how long did it take for you to do the install on the fans,  few hours?  thanks guys

Fans are a breeze. I did the underdrive pulleys and our problem was the dang crank pulley. Holy cow is that thing on there tight and getting the right puller to get the old one out is something I never want to tackle again. The new bolt has to be put on with an ungodly amount of torque to stretch it, then you loosen and retighten for finish. And if you call anyone at any dealership, you get mixed signals as to how to finish the project.

But well worth it in my opinion. Oh, and don't believe them... I got the 2 pulley set which is supposed to have full charge at 750RPM. I don't get a charge at all until nearly 1000RPM and it takes 1100 to get the needle to go back to 14volts. This little problem has detoured me from my sub and MacIntosh Amp install.

Just as a side note on underdrive pulleys: I have done them on the last two trucks and in both cases, lost both battery and alternator at about the three year mark. Coincidence? Maybe. Worth it? I thout so. Alternators aren't cheap, unless you buy rebuilt parts, which ain't me.

Never really cared for the way my headlights would be noticeably dimmer at idle and would brighten up after giving gas.

There are some negative aspects of the whole thing.

Using the three jaw puller from am-pro and a good strap wrench to hold the pulley still, I got mine off in about 5 minutes.

ok got the fans installed. went very easy took about a hour. i have a few questions for they guys that have them.

where do i tap in for the ac controls?. i didnt feel like looking it up in the stamatics.

which direction on the temp switch is up and down?...

i didn't get the under drive pulleys in so that will have to wait untill next week.

The lite green wire at the clutch/compressor is the one you tap into.

As far as the direction for the switch, I think turning it clockwise is up, counter clockwise is down. I had to play with this alot to get the fans to come on. Doesn't really seem very sensitive to me.

Archived