Gutting Cats How-To

RacerJJ

I just bought a piece of 3/8" steel dowell (rebar might work better) and used it and a hammer to bust-up the internal packing and then shake what comes loose out onto the concrete; it took a good hour to do both sides, the driver's side is a PITA but with a little perseverance can be done this way and there is no external sign that you've emptied the cats. A bit barbaric but it got the job done. Remember to use penetrating oil 3-4 days ahead of time on the exhaust flange nuts, then again 24-hrs prior and a third time a few hours prior - you will not have any issue breaking that hardware loose with hand tools. You might also consider new gaskets from the dealer for reassembly ($18 pr). You will also need to do something about the rear O2 sensors, either disable in PCM or use "O2 simulators".

Mr. P. :)

stealthcat.jpg

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I just bought a piece of 3/8" steel dowell (rebar might work better) and used it and a hammer to bust-up the internal packing and then shake what comes loose out onto the concrete; it took a good hour to do both sides, the driver's side is a PITA but with a little perseverance can be done this way and there is no external sign that you've emptied the cats.  A bit barbaric but it got the job done.  Remember to use penetrating oil 3-4 days ahead of time on the exhaust flange nuts, then again 24-hrs prior and a third time a few hours prior - you will not have any issue breaking that hardware loose with hand tools.  You might also consider new gaskets from the dealer for reassembly ($18 pr).  You will also need to do something about the rear O2 sensors, either disable in PCM or use "O2 simulators".

Mr. P. :)

stealthcat.jpg

Do you happen to know the part # on those gaskets? Thanks.

I took a look but apparently did not save the receipt - sorry  :(

Mr. P.

No biggie...Do you happen to remember if they were the round compression type or regular paper/aluminum type? I'm thinking about machining my own aluminum ones because even the dealer can't seem to find them. Thanks.

I think this is the PN for the gasket #15077362 . It"s a metal ring that compresses when you tighten the bolts down.

Make sure you get all of the material out of the cat. I missed a piece on the driver's side and it decided to come loose a month later. I was wondering what the hell was rattling :devil: I had to take it all apart a second time. :devil:

Good luck,

Mike

• 1 year later...
would it better to just go ahead and remove them and weld in a new piece of pipe? i live in a state with no testing.

Yes certainly, the exhaust flow will be a squeak better, plus you can resell the original cats (their recycling value is $50@).

Mr. P.

Can someone please educate me as to the benefit of doing this? I'm not too keen on exhuast mods and don't really know the ups and downs and what effect cats have on performance....What would be the downside of doing this....Thanks :chevy:

Edited by saytagf (see edit history)

No cats = less restriction

Cats = more restriction + they can collapse and do damage to the engine it they fail

So by gutting them using the mention method They CAN"T do damage to the engine?? Is there any other mods that are contingent or required by me gutting the cats....I.E Mr.P mentioned something about o2 sensors?

I also am thinking about deleting my cats. And I think what Mr. P was talking about was an o2 simulator or mil elimintor some call it. Now I think I found one on the internet & I want to make sure it is the right one. Its called a Universal o2 simultor duel output. Is this right. If it is wrong does anyone know where to get the right one.

Thanks

Chad