I think a totally built 10-bolt can be pretty strong, but the 14-bolt would have a larger diameter ring & pinion, which helps. I sure at the power level you are at currently, anything you get will have to be pretty beefed up to last hooking on a slick. Are you going to a 4L80 also ?????

I'm quite sure you will break the stock rear end. It may last a while with a good diff cover with preloads for the caps and a better posi unit. For that much money a new rear end is in order....that way you could get a 4.56 to get that pig movin! :jester:

Dave

The 14 has larger axle diameter as well.

They also consider it a "semi floater" I installed an Eaton LSD with 400lb. springs and carbon clutches. It works bitchin and wouldn't trade it for any POS locker (nope not even a detroit) :yellow_loser: If you were to find the 400lb springs are not enough they have 600lb springs and 800lb springs. I find the 400lb springs to be perfect for the street if I go slow or normal speed around a corner it will allow it to slip if I nail it around a corner I get a bit of lock up, from a dead stop it will always spin both. IMO the 14 bolt is the best thing GM has done for the trucks. :thumbs:

The 14 has larger axle diameter as well.

They also consider it a "semi floater" I installed an Eaton LSD with 400lb. springs and carbon clutches. It works bitchin and wouldn't trade it for any POS locker (nope not even a detroit) :yellow_loser: If you were to find the 400lb springs are not enough they have 600lb springs and 800lb springs. I find the 400lb springs to be perfect for the street if I go slow or normal speed around a corner it will allow it to slip if I nail it around a corner I get a bit of lock up, from a dead stop it will always spin both. IMO the 14 bolt is the best thing GM has done for the trucks. :thumbs:

Hmmm.... :driving: I was looking at a trutrac for a bajillion dollars... Guess I'll call around tomorrow.

I'd recomend going with the full Detroit locker as well as a girdle type cover. If you plan on boosted launches with slicks though the 14 bolt from a newer truck may be in your future. The 10 bolt with the right parts is strong enough for up to 1.5 60' times, but will require going through it about once a year to keep the tolerances tight.

Now you know I'm drooling here. Will we get a burnout pic now that you're going 2wd? :D:cool::driving:

I'd recomend going with the full Detroit locker as well as a girdle type cover. If you plan on boosted launches with slicks though the 14 bolt from a newer truck may be in your future. The 10 bolt with the right parts is strong enough for up to 1.5 60' times, but will require going through it about once a year to keep the tolerances tight.

Now you know I'm drooling here. Will we get a burnout pic now that you're going 2wd?  :D  :cool:  :driving:

f*ck yeah!! I've missed being able to do a righteous burnout :cheers:

Hm... I just called Advanced Driveline here in town -- they are the guys who rebuilt my rear end after the hit-n-run.

It has: Eaton gears, Mosier 30-spline axles in the 10-bolt case. They recommend going to a Detroit locker and keeping the 10-bolt until it breaks, or going with a 14 bolt 9.5" case and a locker again. His main concern with the 14 bolt is the weight, and said that if I don't need it, it's a waste of weight. Makes sense, but I don't really want to have another link in the drive train that I'm just waiting on a break in to put in the right thing lol.

Switching to the locker and microniting the gearset is ~$525 and we can step up to a 35 spline axle. Good news is the 14 bolt set is within $50 of that.