Engine question

Ok, so in the time I'v been doing research to decide how I want to mod out my SS I'v seen alot of people putting 402 and 408's in their silverado's. Now I'm gonna prepare my flamesuit and ask what is better about them, than the engine in the SS stock? Also, those who are boosting your LS how is it holding up with the boost? I'v heard that they aren't a good motor to run boost through but I dunno wheither to beleive it or not. I don't know alot about motors, but I'm trying to learn more. I build sound systems and never have broadened my creations to going under the hood till now and I'm looking to build a monster and looking for the best way to spend the 20g I have saved up for my truck to do so.

The reason people say the lq9 is no good for boost is because it has high compression (10.1:1) and generally speaking, this limits the amount of boost you can run. HOWEVER, with something like a magnusson radix that is going to put out 10psi-ish max, it's about perfect. Also, any FI that you are going to keep under 10psi, it's a great setup -- loads of power.

A 402-408 adds ~40 ci of displacement, which means more power NA, or FI, just build the motor (or have built) to suit your plans. For example, the LQ9 in stock form puts out 345 crank HP. A built 408 is probably in the 500-600 range at the crank (depending on compression etc).

Personally I find it pointless to build out a small-block unless you’re looking to make some ‘serious’ power. The stock bottom end of these motors have been known to support 800hp, if not more, and the cranks are known to support 1000+hp. 550hp N/A can be achieved by doing bolt-ons with the right set of heads and cam. The ONLY reason I see for building out a small block is for major forced induction use that would yield 750hp or more.

Here’s a link about a build on an LS1 just to give you an idea. That setup netted 522hp and 466tq, and with a 200shot that made 723hp and 727lb-ft. Supposedly the LQ9 is made with better/stronger components than the LS1.Link

I could go on and on about builds that I've personally seen. But really, what is your goal? 20k poorly spent could get you 12s, but 20k properly spent could get you 10s or better. It all depends.

Edited by —Bauker™— (see edit history)

My goal is probably 7-800hp and keeping my AWD. But power isn't my main concern...with that kind of power I'm gong to need a great suspension setup. I need to get this truck where it can wipe the floor with a 570whp Cobra that I used to run against and talks shit asking if the SS on my truck stands for Slow Sh!t.

My goal is probably 7-800hp and keeping my AWD.  But power isn't my main concern...with that kind of power I'm gong to need a great suspension setup.  I need to get this truck where it can wipe the floor with a 570whp Cobra that I used to run against and talks shit asking if the SS on my truck stands for Slow Sh!t.

With that kind of hp goals there are two things you can count on - it will take a lot to get you there, ie the level of modification, and two, it will take quite a few dollars.

I would plan on a stroker build to some cubic number of 408 or higher. I would wait and see how the new Magna MP122 turns out and see if it were compatible to put some good boost numbers for the larger motor. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't, but the data is not available yet, and strap that thing on. Of course it would need high flowing heads, big cam, serious exhaust work, etc, etc.

Figure out everything to get the 4L80E in your truck. Nothing else will last very long. Neither will the stock motor on high hp numbers like you're planning even if it could get you there.

My goal is probably 7-800hp and keeping my AWD.  But power isn't my main concern...with that kind of power I'm gong to need a great suspension setup.  I need to get this truck where it can wipe the floor with a 570whp Cobra that I used to run against and talks shit asking if the SS on my truck stands for Slow Sh!t.

With that kind of hp goals there are two things you can count on - it will take a lot to get you there, ie the level of modification, and two, it will take quite a few dollars.

I would plan on a stroker build to some cubic number of 408 or higher. I would wait and see how the new Magna MP122 turns out and see if it were compatible to put some good boost numbers for the larger motor. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't, but the data is not available yet, and strap that thing on. Of course it would need high flowing heads, big cam, serious exhaust work, etc, etc.

Figure out everything to get the 4L80E in your truck. Nothing else will last very long. Neither will the stock motor on high hp numbers like you're planning even if it could get you there.

Thanks, Yea I don't expect this to be cheap, and I doubt 20 grand will put a dent in it so I'll most likely end up burning through most of my savings. I'v always been a car person and wasn't sure if I really wanted to keep this truck but *knock on wood* after the warranty ran out all the stupid problems stopped so I decided I'm going to keep it and I'm going to build one hell of a show truck that has the go to ofset the show. I know alot of people that drive SS's at our local car club think its a bad idea for me to repaint the SS but I like to make my vehicle unique and I'v already picked out some paint for it. From the windows up I'm going to paint black with yellow metalflake and the lower half will be pearle' yellow. I had some black chrome SS emblems made and a black chrome grill ordered and can't wait to get the thing painted and the best time to do it will be when I decide what engine since I'm gonna need the engine out to paint her fully anyways.

You're talking about a 10 second car vs. a flying brick. If he's running slicks or DRs, it will only get worse. Figure 900-1000rwhp to get the job done.

Along with a fully built motor you're also going to need one of these:

796027386_l.jpg

wow nice silverado in those vids. As for the cobra being a 10 sec car, I doubt it, its a crappy driver, running 24inch chrome wheels and street tires but its still faster than my SS is now. (It belongs to a cocky family member) There are no reputable tuner shops near me so as far as what I'll need to get to my goal, I'm gonna have to go buy advise given here, and then hopefully find a shop to ship the truck to.