v-max single or duel exhaust better?..

hi guys,

i'm still a newbie here so bare with me, i ordered a flowmaster super 40 for my truck but when i went to have it installed, i found out the exhaust system on my v-max is different then the 2005 5.3 i had before. when i got under my new truck i noticed that there are 2 pipes running all the way into the muffler and then 2 out Y'ed into 1 after a few inch's... :confused: so i was thinking i need to get one more super 40 and make a true duel system would that be ok?, would i gain hp and lose torque or would it help all the way around?, i read somewhere in here that 1 of the pipes is a resonator?... doe's that cause a problem? also whats wrong with the shorty headers?, i like the fact that they bolt in place of the stock manifolds.. do the long tubes make that big a difference?.. thanks in advance for your help guys...

Edited by 2006_superado (see edit history)

I would go ahead and get another 40 series muffler since you already purchsed one. The long tubes will flow better and give some power increase, more on a supercharged application though. I'm not sure how much power increase you would see without the blower. Maybe someone who has them will chime in.

as far as what i know, at least in the SSS, one of the chambers in the muffler is a resonator a lot of people have done true duals here, i would think the HP would be neglible unless you got headers..

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give you my OPINION 2006_superado.....

The shorty headers are more a "convenience header" than an ultimate performance piece, the worst part of shorty headers is the collector. A long tube primary header with a long, nicely merging collector will produce more low end grunt and top end power IMO.

The 2 into 1 issue ain't easy, because unless you connect the two headpipes (X or H pipe) then there will be 1000 different theories at to which will make more torque I'm sure....?

Word is, stock manifolds flow well enough that shorty headers aren't worth doing. Long tubes improve exhaust scavenging and prove gains in low end torque. Our motors don't perform well at high RPM (due to intake manifold restriction) so unless you're doing a large cam and springs or high flow heads, it'd be a waste to buy shortys.

Dual mufflers and tailpipes is all you need there.

I dyno'd before and after my exhaust with the stock tune and picked up 7rwhp and 11rwtq with my config. Tuning brought it up +40 each at the wheels.

There's no stupid questions, Newb.

Welcome aboard, nice truck! :cheers:

Word is, stock manifolds flow well enough that shorty headers aren't worth doing. Long tubes improve exhaust scavenging and prove gains in low end torque. Our motors don't perform well at high RPM (due to intake manifold restriction) so unless you're doing a large cam and springs or high flow heads, it'd be a waste to buy shortys.

Dual mufflers and tailpipes is all you need there.

I dyno'd before and after my exhaust with the stock tune and picked up 7rwhp and 11rwtq with my config. Tuning brought it up +40 each at the wheels.

There's no stupid questions, Newb.

Welcome aboard, nice truck!  :cheers:

you got that much from just the exhaust?.. and that much more from the tune?... wow!.. who did your tune?, and what was the specs on it?.

thanks and i love the site :D:cheers:

you got that much from just the exhaust?.. and that much more from the tune?... wow!.. who did your tune?, and what was the specs on it?.

thanks and i love the site :D  :cheers:

Yes and yes.

Dez Racing in Seekonk, MA is the only place I'll let work on my toys. Don (aka SlowHawk over on tech) is the best builder/tuner around here for GenIII's and his tunes are custom road and dyno.

My truck's there tonight and for the next few days getting lots of new goodies :thumbs:

I have installed dual Super 40's and turned them down right out of the mufflers, and I feel like it helped out a bit in the mid-range, but the bonus is the SOUND!

It has a sick rumble at idle and when you get on the throttle, it sounds plain NASTY, just like a race truck should.

If you aren't looking for such an ominous sound, just dual it out the back or to the corners, and it will tone it down quite a bit.

Just my 2 cents.

I have installed dual Super 40's and turned them down right out of the mufflers, and I feel like it helped out a bit in the mid-range, but the bonus is the SOUND!

It has a sick rumble at idle and when you get on the throttle, it sounds plain NASTY, just like a race truck should.

If you aren't looking for such an ominous sound, just dual it out the back or to the corners, and it will tone it down quite a bit.

Just my 2 cents.

already did the FM duel super 40's out the P-side front of tire.. sound just like you said i love them... :D