How aweful is your gas milage?

BumpinSS

My 03 SS Silverado is stock except for a few exterior things and my average MPG is 9-11 (11 once in a blue moon) and all my miles are highway miles and I don't tow with it...I used to get 15-17mpg but in the last year that I'v been driving the SS to the doctor since its my only vehicle the milage and gotten aweful. Any suggestions to improve it or are they all getting milage like this? I know my milage si gonna be like 3-5mpg when I go boost but I expected more while I was stock. :dunno:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 03 SS Silverado is stock except for a few exterior things and my average MPG is 9-11 (11 once in a blue moon) and all my miles are highway miles and I don't tow with it...I used to get 15-17mpg but in the last year that I'v been driving the SS to the doctor since its my only vehicle the milage and gotten aweful.  Any suggestions to improve it or are they all getting milage like this?  I know my milage si gonna be like 3-5mpg when I go boost but I expected more while I was stock.  :dunno:

i get 18mpg with my 408 on the highway. and at wot it pulls 56lbs past the MAF

not to bad :)

you should get a custom tune that will help out alot.

Edited by j4nash (see edit history)

well i dont think my mpg on my dic is correct but it says 20 on the highway going no faster than 65mph and around 15 if i go about the usual 80. around town i avg 11-12. if its right thats not to bad imo for FI and a 3k stall!

Well....custom tunes are not known for mileage. I would scratch that idea if that is what you want. How many miles does your truck have?

Synthetic oil, a clean air filter, good working O2s, injector cleaner etc... Are you getting this info from the dic, or manually figuring? It just doesn't sound right. Even I get better than that.

Well....custom tunes are not known for mileage.  I would scratch that idea if that is what you want.  How many miles does your truck have?

Synthetic oil, a clean air filter, good working O2s, injector cleaner etc...  Are you getting this info from the dic, or manually figuring?  It just doesn't sound right.  Even I get better than that.

sorry to bust your bubble but a good custom tune will help with mileage.

it does sound like he does have other problems thou

Well....custom tunes are not known for mileage.  I would scratch that idea if that is what you want.  How many miles does your truck have?

Synthetic oil, a clean air filter, good working O2s, injector cleaner etc...  Are you getting this info from the dic, or manually figuring?  It just doesn't sound right.  Even I get better than that.

sorry to bust your bubble but a good custom tune will help with mileage.

it does sound like he does have other problems thou

I don't have a bubble.

Did Zippy tune you for mileage? Did you consider mileage for a tune? Did you buy HPt thinking it was going to improve your mileage? Nevermind, you were the one thinking a 408 was going to improve your mileage. Does any tuner advertise better mileage? Some may. It will not happen though.

I will say that tuning may not make it any worse. The best it can do is lean you out some since the stock tune is so rich. That will not make any drastic differences in mileage though. I guess if the avg person getting a custom tune was getting it for that reason, but 99.99% get tuned for performance and drive it like they paid for just that. Mileage is usually a secondary thought for most performance minded people.

yes the whole point of getting a custom tune is for performance.

But along with it you will get better mileage as well. Along with many other benefits

Sounds like someone needs to trade in there EFI Live or have someone help you out with your tune. Its ok to admit you don’t know everything about tunning. I know that I don’t and that is why I have people help me out. But I can tell you that when my truck was a lot closer to stock that after I had a good tuner tune my truck that I had better times at the track and that I made better fuel mileage at the same time.

So how much does your truck pull past the MAF at wot and then what kind of mileage does your truck get on the highway?

Have you yourself even touched any parameters in your tune in HPt - without direction?

FWIW, I get 20-21 on the highway compared to your 18.

The most I have seen is 52lb min. I have seen over 1 for grams per cylinder though. I have only gotten my tune to where it is more fun to drive, not maximized yet for power - haven't even touched the wb. There is very much more left in my truck - that I know for sure. Once the FAST is on and I'm done with adding to the motor then I will dedicate the time to max it out.

Oh..and nobody knows everything about tuning.

I check my milage the old fashionway with pen and paper when I fill up.  I have 46,000 miles on my truck and live in SW missouri in the Springfield/Branson area.

Get some Lucas injector cleaner. Check your air filter. Change plugs, maybe new wires. I would say change O2s, but there are 4 of them and not cheap.

BumpinSS,

A tune may give some help with your problem, but it sounds like there are possibly something else going on or wrong and a tune would be an expensive band-aid that may mask something else that is going on. That is my main point about a tune - it is not what you need for YOUR problem. $250 minimum for a custom tune.

Have you yourself even touched any parameters in your tune in HPt - without direction?

FWIW, I get 20-21 on the highway compared to your 18. 

The most I have seen is 52lb min.  I have seen over 1 for grams per cylinder though.  I have only gotten my tune to where it is more fun to drive, not maximized yet for power - haven't even touched the wb.  There is very much more left in my truck - that I know for sure.  Once the FAST is on and I'm done with adding to the motor then I will dedicate the time to max it out.

Oh..and nobody knows everything about tuning.

My truck is not maxed out yet eather

i am just putting in a new cam so we will see what MPG i get with this one and how much i can pull past the MAF

and yes i have touched many of the parameters in HPT with direction.

i also have seen over 1 gram P/ cylinder

I bet that the FAST intake will help out alot. I hope that you get a good gain. I know that my 90mm intake swap worked really good but i am selling it to move on to a diferent project.