Fuel Guage started working backwards

Jim Coher

I just put my 04 SS on the road and I noticed my fuel guage going toward full. What a great SS. When it got to full I got gas anyway and to my suprise it took 24 gallons. I guess I have an electrical problem I'll have to check out. Anyone seen this before. It was working ok for a while then went berserk.

Do you have a PCM upgrade in your truck? I have this issue when I swap out one of my PCM's. For some reason, the 04 PCM did this to me (I have an 03 truck).

I just flash my original 03 PCM now and have no issues. BTW, I have an 04 PCM sitting on the shelf ;)

I don't have a PCM upgrade yet. I'll probably get one soon. I have another PCM but I'm not sure it's any good. It looks ok but it was in the Katrina flood. If it's no good I'll buy another for the upgrade. What do I have to do to flash my PCM? Can I do it or do I have to take it to the dealer?

...you have an 04 truck, is the PCM you have in there now from an 04? That is what I tried to say by saying PCM upgrade. :chevy:

Since you stated you had a flood truck, I figure you have a new PCM (and possibly from another year). :dunno:

The truck is an 04 but the drive train, fuel tank, wiring, dash, interior, and all the electronics are from an 03. I took it to the dealer to get the the PCM and body control module programed, and theft lock cleared for the navigation unit I installed. They didn't have a clue on the navigation unit. They said there was an error code. The modules were programed with the 04 VIN. Maybe they should have programed it for an 03? I've been driving around and it runs great. There are a few bugs I have to work out but I love it. The fuel guage problem is the biggest issue right now. This will be a good excuse to get a custom tune on the PCM.

• 2 weeks later...