cracked windshield

detjoe

:banghead: Hi, I just washed the bugs off from the trip and a stone that hit on the way back from the event now is a 8 iin crack :banghead:

should i have the dealer do it when I get my rear window replaced? or should i goto a glass shop?

any idea on cost? insurance soultions? :dunno:

thanks

joe

Joe,

I will chime in here (remember, I am the one with the glass shop).

I usually recommend that you talk to people and find out about shops reputations. I generally tell people to stray away from the big companies (like Triumph/Safelite/etc.), and stick with the long time local shop. They seem to keep the quality installers, and keep them for longer periods of time.

As far as insurance, check your policy. Glass coverage is under your comprehensive (check your policy/declaration page to see if you have a deductible - if you don't know, call your agent). Just remember, they CANNOT TELL YOU WHERE YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR TRUCK REPAIRED. They usually have 'preferred' shops, but you have the right to choose.

When I get back to work tomorrow and get my desk cleared off, I will get you some more details on list prices. Just remember with pricing, use common sense. Remember that you have a large piece of glass, upper moulding, primers, urethane, and labor involved. If a price sounds too good to be true, it probably is. There are a lot of shops that will install a Chinese windshield, but YOU DON'T WANT THAT!!!

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Rob

Joe,

I will chime in here (remember, I am the one with the glass shop).

I usually recommend that you talk to people and find out about shops reputations.  I generally tell people to stray away from the big companies (like Triumph/Safelite/etc.), and stick with the long time local shop.  They seem to keep the quality installers, and keep them for longer periods of time.

As far as insurance, check your policy.  Glass coverage is under your comprehensive (check your policy/declaration page to see if you have a deductible - if you don't know, call your agent).  Just remember, they CANNOT TELL YOU WHERE YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR TRUCK REPAIRED.  They usually have 'preferred' shops, but you have the right to choose.

When I get back to work tomorrow and get my desk cleared off, I will get you some more details on list prices.  Just remember with pricing, use common sense.  Remember that you have a large piece of glass, upper moulding, primers, urethane, and labor involved.  If a price sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  There are a lot of shops that will install a Chinese windshield, but YOU DON'T WANT THAT!!!

If you have any questions, please let me know! 

Rob

:withstupid: I had a chip in my last truck. Cost me nothing and I got to use whoever I wanted.

I just replaced my windshield a couple of months ago. I took it to Novus and they charged my $230 installed and out the door. My insurance gave me a bunch of shit and wouldn't pay for it, and I have USAA.

Outside of some black silicon the got on the top of the driverside a pillar, they did a good job. So far I have taken much larger rocks off the windshield without even a chip too. The glass seems much better than stock. :thumbs:

First of all, there is no 'better' glass than OE...(in all actuality, there are 2 OE manufacturers for GM...Pilkington and Guardian - Pilkington produces the DW1341 (99-03) and DW1549 (04+) in Canada, so most of us have them in our trucks, and Guardian makes theirs in the US (I know one of their plants is in Indiana...), and I know the Fort Wayne truck plant uses them. Both w/s are the same thickness, and the only difference (from experience here...) is that the upper moulding on the Guardians lays down better than the Pilkington.

Besides those 2 versions, you get into the ARG (aftermarket replacment glass), and you see manufacturers like FYG (China), Northstar (China), PPG (which subs out a lot of glass from Zin Yi....you guessed it, China), and SGC (which is Safelite's own brand of glass....and I really can't tell you where all of theirs is from...I just know that it is junk). Pretty much what I am saying is that I would ONLY allow either the Guardian or Pilkington brand in my truck!!

The list price of the glass is:

DW1341 (99-03): 188.65

DW1549 (04+): 198.50

The discount off of list prices depends largely on how much competition is in your area, as well as how close you are to a large population. The more rural the territory is, the more you can expect to pay. In this area, you can expect the discount to be in the 10% range....but in Indianapolis, they can go as high as 30-40%. Again, look at my earlier post for my feelings on pricing!

Labor: 2.2 Hours (most shops in this area charge a flat rate of $75-$100

Adhesive: $20-$25

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

dealer replaced window...but now that I read this again it is PPG glass :banghead:

the tint border is different, oh well $270

asked them to look at the side vents ( i was told they just replace them)

NO, they adjusted them :banghead:

and to top it off the had my truck from 7am till noon the next :banghead:

oh well...

thanks for the help IdriveGPT