cladding problems

OldManJed

I've been a long time member, but never felt the need to post... I've learned a lot and realize there's some real talent on here (hopefully someone can help me with my problem).

This is going to be a somewhat lengthy first post, but to make a long story short I have an 03 SSS and the body cladding on the doors keeps coming off. I've taken it to the dealership many times (unofficially ~15, officially 5) over the past 3 years regarding the issue, but they can never seem to fix the problem right. I think they keep trying to put the cladding on with 3m double sided sticky tape, which in the Florida heat is not going to hold.

They've tried to fix the problem themselves and they've tried to subcontract the work to 2 different body shops, but no one can get the cladding to stay on. It seems like each time I take it in, the quality of work gets less and less.

I have pics of the fiasco, but it's going to take me a couple days to upload them.

Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know how to fix it? Does anyone recommend a way to deal with the dealership or other gm representatives so that the problem gets fixed properly (as it seems the dealership is trying to take the cheapest way out now)?

==================================

Quick history of problem:

-3 months after purchase the cladding begins to rub in the door seams

-dealership moves the cladding back and re-adheres the cladding

-9 months later the cladding comes loose again and binds up in the door seams

-dealership replaces cladding on both doors and subs work out to body shop

-i have to take the truck back to dealership and body shop 3 times within the next 2.5 weeks

-6 months later the cladding comes loose again and begins to rub

-dealership re-adheres the cladding to the doors

-3 months later the cladding comes loose and binds up in doors

- dealership orders new cladding and subs work out to the same body shop

-6 months later cladding comes loose again and binds up

-dealership forgets to order the cladding for 3 months

-dealership finally orders parts but give me a hard time saying the the front fender is causing the problem and they don't believe they should pay for the fix

-finally get the dealership to fix the problem, they show me a quote of ~$600 to fix it and then take it to a different body shop to get the work done for ~$175

-2.5 weeks later the cladding comes off and I take it back to dealership

-dealership is "investigatin" new solutions and stronger adheives to use

Edited by OldManJed (see edit history)

It can't be the heat...lots of us out west with many days above 105-this is the first I have heard about this problem. It would have to be the humidity making the tape come loose-that or lots of rain. Something else I would look into is if your cladding is warped before it is applied, say from sitting in a hot warehouse somewhere? Warped cladding would definitely move out of place over time.

It could also be as simple as not cleaning the body properly before they replace the cladding. Just a good wash with dawn and dry before putting it on should make a difference. If that didn't work we could move on other adhesives made by 3M which would _never_ come off.

i have a peice that i loose as well in the front corner slightly. I first thought it could be the screws underneath holding it on. Every time i wash my truck i check it to see if it worsens at all. If in case i have the same problem as you i would suggest EPOXY talk about some sticky stuff. We use it to cover pinholes and exposed areas of the jet. Also can be used to stick things together for a good amount of time. Not guranteeing forever but its worth a shot. Lot better than super glue. You could also use some stuff that we call B half, its a sealnt that takes awhile to seal and is a real pita to get off. Seems like sometimes that stuff never wants to come off. If i were you id just make the dealership get you two doors off an SS that already has the problem fixed

I have an 04' ss and not to argue but it was the heat that did mine in. It was so bad that it expanded and starting to rub agaisnt the door. I brought mine to the dealership and they had it painted and fixed up in a day. They put a new one on. and no problems since. If I remember right, there was member here that had a picture of that same problem.

Hi,

Most companies that manufacture double sided tape have an adhesion promoter that is recommended on ALL plastic emblems and moldings. Clean all of the old adhesive on the molding, several methods rubber flap wheel (best) soak in release agent that allows the tape to come off easily...I have heard of a Neon molding changing colors after beeing soaked or plain old fasion elbow grease w/ putty knife. 3M has little packets that you tear open and only apply to the molding...there should be a flash time. We have a promoter that is in a bottle w/ dobber. Apply to molding where you will be putting on the double sided tape, allow product to flash after 5 minutes then apply the double sided tape. No promoter is needed on the paint, just clean and dry the surface and I would have the side that you are working on in the shade so the panel is around ~65 to 80 degrees.

Any paint store will have this adhesion promoter and if the dealership has a body shop they should be familiar with it...but I have been to countless shops that are unaware that you NEED to use an adhesion promoter for the injected molded plastics and double sided tape.

You could also use a 3" grinding disc and grind to bare metal w/ 36 grit on vehicle, then use the grinder on the back side of the molding (use different adhesion promoter...allow to flash) and use some structural adhesive that is used to fix bumpers. This probably is not the wayyou want to do it.

DW

Here are a couple pics, as promised.

The first is way back when I first started having the problem, you can see the cladding is starting to come loose and the lines on the body don't line up.

The middle ones are just a couple over the past 3 years (tehoamtim - I would have thought you stole those pics from me, if you hadn't posted them first).

The last one is the current state of my truck, where the entire cladding was just falling off and had to be removed - I'm really representing SSS owners now

SANY0572_small.JPG

SANY2202_small.JPG

SANY2260_small.JPG

SANY2378_small.JPG

SANY2379_small.JPG

SANY2400_small.JPG

You dont use automatic car washes do you? Please say no.

WalkerDA's post about the adhesion promoter is pretty much where I am at this point.

I hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction.

Edited by StealthSS (see edit history)

It can't be just the heat. I had a 2003 and in the first year the passenger side came loose and crinkled it up like in the picture above. The driver side came loose also. I live in Maine and if I remember right it happened when it was cold. The dealer fixed it both times, no charge.

Hi,

Is the double sided tape sticking to the panel of the vehicle? I couldn't tell if it was attatched to the molding or on the vehicle. I know our double sided tape has a 2 year shelf life, but if they have tried several times I doubt they had outdated products more than once. Again if it is not sticking to the molding they are probably not using an adhesion promoter. If it is not sticking to the panel they are probably not thoroughly cleaning the panel. Hope you get it figured out.

I was also up in Toledo today and saw 2 red SS'S up there one was in a body shop the other on I-75.

DW

You dont use automatic car washes do you?  Please say no.

WalkerDA's post about the adhesion promoter is pretty much where I am at this point.

I hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction.

I wash the truck mostly by hand, but on occassion I run it through a "touchless" carwash (the kind that just sprays water on it), why do you ask?

It can't be just the heat. I had a 2003 and in the first year the passenger side came loose and crinkled it up like in the picture above. The driver side came loose also. I live in Maine and if I remember right it happened when it was cold. The dealer fixed it both times, no charge.

I've had it happen in cooler weather too, but it seems to be worse in the heat. Anyway, did the dealership do anything dif to fix the problem - or - what did they do to fix?

Hi,

Is the double sided tape sticking to the panel of the vehicle? I couldn't tell if it was attatched to the molding or on the vehicle. I know our double sided tape has a 2 year shelf life, but if they have tried several times I doubt they had outdated products more than once. Again if it is not sticking to the molding they are probably not using an adhesion promoter. If it is not sticking to the panel they are probably not thoroughly cleaning the panel. Hope you get it figured out.

I was also up in Toledo today and saw 2 red SS'S up there one was in a body shop the other on I-75.

DW

I've had the sticky tape come off of both the door and the cladding, sometimes both at the same time.

Thanks to everyone for the comments... keep the suggestions coming, hopefully I can find something to get these panels on for good.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to the saga...

I finally got the cladding fixed (again) on both sides this past wednesday. Hopefully everything will stay on this time.

The dealership special ordered some 3M tape (#06396 or #5390), it is supposed to have crazy high specs (something like 29 lbs of holding power @ temps below 100 F, and 57 lbs of holding power @ temps above 100 F).