how much can the stock tranny handle...

I am guessing with sensible everday driving mixed with the occasional sledgehammer to the floor with a whipple intstalled the stock tranny will hold up with timely scheduled maintainence and a close eye on the temp guage.

As far as hard actual #s only time will tell.

On my old Supra.....500rwhp held for 2 yrs.

but now we are comparing apples to oranges :nono:

i'd be concerned much over 430 on the stock trans., although with some decent treatment it should be fine with more. under alot of power, i don't recomend manually shifting it, make sure your shift points are programmed so it shifts where you want it too at wot. weight is a major problem with this trans holding up more than the hp. try to keep from running it really hard when loaded. quite often with a few buddies in the vehicle or sometimes when trailering it's fun to show what she's got. this is when it's the hardest on the trans. be easy on boost applications on how much you bring it up on the converter prior to launch. it's alot of trans strain to be held back with the engine doing it's damndest to move the vehicle. going off idle or just a bit above idle for launch will be much easier on it. if you've been running it really hard, let it idle for a minute or two to bring the fluid temp down some before shutting it off and if you're racing you can also run water or ice accross the cooler line's to bring temps back down. one previous 4L60 (same family trans) i built ran behind a 355 putting out over 500 ft.lbs. of torque (somewhere around 3000, but i don't recall. have to find the dyno sheets) with 470.4 hp at 6000 had only one failure which was of the 3-4 clutches. after upgrading them to the blue plates, never one more problem. i'm still learning about flp's experiences, but i've gotten advise before from rossler which has proven helpfull overtime. it is quite possible the stock 3-4 clutches under higher power can't handle a shift kit and billet servo, but you could try just the billet servo without the shift kit. i've also performed that mod on a couple 4L60E's and had no failure's to date. finished the build-up of my trans last week, man is it more fun. anyway, not sure how much advice i can lend, but if i can help or research something for you, just let me know. ;)

Archived