Bad News

kaotik1

So this morning, I get home from work and smell burning axle grease. I get out of the truck and look underneath and I see splashing all over the driverside fender liner. It rained here last night so I was not sure if it was water or what, so I waited till this afternoon to look, and it's grease. I can't tell if it's the CV boot, or possibly the wheel bearing where the abs sensor is, but it smells of grease bad. I called the dealer only to find out, that I am out of warranty by 10 days. So what ever may be wrong might be out of pocket, which sucks.

If I have to replace the CV does anyone know the cost, and if they come as one piece from the transverse to the knuckle, or three piece? The dealer is going to look at it friday, and tell me what I need, and I can decide from there.

I bought the inner boot kit from the dealer...you don't even have to take the wheel off to get the shaft out. The dealer has the tool to swedge the ring back on the boot, and the kit comes with instructions.Here is the link to my thread. Good luck. BTW the boot kit was $25. Later

Dave

I bought the inner boot kit from the dealer...you don't even have to take the wheel off to get the shaft out. The dealer has the tool to swedge the ring back on the boot, and the kit comes with instructions.Here is the link to my thread. Good luck. BTW the boot kit was $25. Later

Dave

Just pop the lug cover undo the lock nut and the 6 bolts on the transverse right? then it will all come out in one shot. I hope thats all it is, is the boot. I plan on taking off the tire though to clean all the grease from under there, the smell is bad.

I've told others before, GM has what they call a goodwill grace period that extends past the factory warranty. They will usually cover most things up to about 6months or about 40k. It is usually a one time deal per vehicle. They usually will cover it 100% or do a 50/50 where you pay half. If the dealer will not help all you have to do is call the # in the owners/warranty manual and talk to them they will have the dealer do it, and if your just 10 days out the service manager has the authority to authorize the repair an GM will cover it. One of my very close friends is a service manager :D and I worked for a Chevy dealer and had to do alot of goodwill work.

I had a boot replaced, I was glad I caught it changing my oil. Grease all over the inner wheel and inner fender.

this is good we are starting to identify new issues that might arise in ownership but after warranty :chevy:

Turns out the diff case is leaking. They don't know from which seal, but it was so bad that I can't even drive the truck right now. My appointment is for first thing monday am, and I guess I will find out my cost after that. This is a total bummer because they added 1qt of fluid to the diff, of friday and said I was okay till monday. I left there to go home( about 10 miles) fluid everywhere, and I lost the new quart lube plus some.

Archived